What's new

Not your typical "which lens" question.

RalphP13

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
162
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Ohio
I AM asking which lens, however, the lenses are the same lens. It's the sellers/circumstances that are different.

Would you buy

Lens 1:
Well know internet camera store
Gray Market Lens
Brand New Lens

Lens 2:
Large "trusted" eBay camera store
Refurbished Lens
10% less

Lens 3:
Well know internet camera store
USA Lens
Brand New Lens
20% More

I'm curious to hear your preference and why.
Remember, the lens is essentially the same I'm just trying to figure out where to buy.


Thanks, Ralph
 
What is the warranty on the refurbished lens?

True refurbishing is done by the manufacturer and you usually end up with a solid product because it is tested more than a brand new off the shelf lens.


As for gray market, it usually means no warranty whatsoever. I've also heard that some companies will not even fix gray market products.
 
I only buy new, first party lenses from big, reputable online retailers. But then again, my budget allows this. I've had bad luck with shady retailers or used gear in the past, so I just don't chance it anymore.
 
I AM asking which lens, however, the lenses are the same lens. It's the sellers/circumstances that are different.

Would you buy

Lens 1:
Well know internet camera store
Gray Market Lens
Brand New Lens

Lens 2:
Large "trusted" eBay camera store
Refurbished Lens
10% less

Lens 3:
Well know internet camera store
USA Lens
Brand New Lens
20% More

I'm curious to hear your preference and why.
Remember, the lens is essentially the same I'm just trying to figure out where to buy.


Thanks, Ralph

If I had a Nikon I'd pay 20% for the five year warranty.

Even if 20% was $800?

Lens 1. Gray Market, No USA Warranty. What is the cost if you have to ship it to Japan, insure it for it's value, & possibly pay for the repair and or return shipping? Whats the time lost?

Lens 2. Refurbished by whom? What warranty? What it the cost if you have to have it repaired (again, refurb implies it was repaired once) to ship it who knows where, might be gray market, insured value and the cost of the repair.

Lens 3. New USA lens with 5 year warranty. What it the cost to ship it Woodland Hills CA. (Nikon repair center) and insure it.? First 5 years the repair is under warranty unless you are at fault for the damage.

As Harry Callahan would say "Are you felling lucky/"
 
That can change things considerably. What are you getting?

Looking at the Nikon 200mm f/2


What is the warranty on the refurbished lens?

True refurbishing is done by the manufacturer and you usually end up with a solid product because it is tested more than a brand new off the shelf lens.


As for gray market, it usually means no warranty whatsoever. I've also heard that some companies will not even fix gray market products.

There is a one year warranty offered by the seller on the refurbished lens.

I can add a warranty for the gray market lens - 3yrs for $300 or 5yrs for $600

Thanks, Ralph
 
As Harry Callahan would say "Are you felling lucky/"
:biglaugh:

Seriously, I stay away from grey market items. But that's just me. I get a 5 year warranty (on Nikon lenses) without paying extra.

I have no problem with refurbished. As cloudwalker said.... they are usually better because the particular item is hand inspected.
 
I know of a 200/2 for $3,500 used from a reputable store. I'll be PM'ing you very shortly.
 
Thanks Derrel. Just clocked on that the OP never mentioned focal length.

200mm f/2 for $3500 sounds reasonable if in +9 condition.
 
There is a one year warranty offered by the seller on the refurbished lens.
Then the lens likely wasn't refurbished by Nikon. Nikon gives a 90 day warranty on their refurbished goods.

Many refurbished items do not require repairs, because they were returned buy people suffering buyers remorse.

I can add a warranty for the gray market lens - 3yrs for $300 or 5yrs for $600

Thanks, Ralph
Extended warranties are HUGE profit makers for the sellers and the terms of the warranty would be critical.
 
There is a one year warranty offered by the seller on the refurbished lens.
Then the lens likely wasn't refurbished by Nikon. Nikon gives a 90 day warranty on their refurbished goods.

Many refurbished items do not require repairs, because they were returned buy people suffering buyers remorse.

It is a USA version factory demo lens refurbished by Nikon for $3600
The one-year warranty is offered by Cameta Camera.

If anybody has any dealings with Cameta Camera good or bad, free to voice them.

Thanks, Ralph
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom