Now everyone wants pictures taken...

wmh28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Over the holidays my family was nice enough to upgrade me to a D90 and now all of my friends want pictures taken of them. Thats no big deal and i dont mind taking a few snaps here and there but recently my good buddy asked me to do a series of portraits for his website.

Ive displayed a few from his LA extension and am looking for information on the set up that this photographer likely used. (really looking for lighting suggestions as well as photo retouching) See below.

kerry_big.jpg

jason_big.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

The first one he's got a light hitting from the cameras right side. In the second one, looks like camera is to the right of the model, with a fill light from the front of the model.

Welcome to the forum.

What lighting equipment and experience do you have?

The D90 is probably a great camera, but just having it won't get you professional results like these.

The first one he's got a light hitting from the cameras right side. In the second one, looks like camera is to the right of the model, with a fill light from the front of the model.

There's definitely a back light on the second. You can see the shadow of the stool falling towards the front of the frame.

The first had some sort of alternate light on the left side of the frame. It may have been gelled and turned down really low or it might have been a bright LED.

ya i was gonna say, i hope you have some money to get some lighting as well, if you dont already have it, because theres some nice lighting going on there.

Over the holidays my family was nice enough to upgrade me to a D90 and now all of my friends want pictures taken of them. Thats no big deal and i dont mind taking a few snaps here and there but recently my good buddy asked me to do a series of portraits for his website.

Ive displayed a few from his LA extension and am looking for information on the set up that this photographer likely used. (really looking for lighting suggestions as well as photo retouching) See below.

Any help is appreciated.

Biggest question for you is, what's your budget?

Biggest question for you is, what's your budget?

Honestly i have enough saved up to buy maybe 1 softbox and a slave flash with tripod. I also have Photo Shop CS4 and Lightroom 2.0 so I figure whatever effect I can't achieve on the shoot I am sure I can create through the software.

Your best bet is to invest in speedlights, umbrellas, stands, and the like. Do it right when you shoot.

If you can't make the effect when you take the picture, digital light is gonna look just like it is, fake.

^ scary avatar... Thanks for the advice guys! Again this is a favor for my friend and i will do my best.

Curious...umbrellas over softbox / modeling light etc...?

Wow... you have a little to learn... visit STROBIST.COM and search Lighting 101 and 102... all the answers to your questions and more are all there.

Most reactions

Back