Occasional Street Stuff

I like the one best of the man seated on the bench, great use of shape and pattern there. (I can't say it made me think of yellowing pages though, to me it seems to almost have a bit of a magenta tone.)

Kertesz is my favorite photographer, have a few books on him.

I like the one best of the man seated on the bench, great use of shape and pattern there. (I can't say it made me think of yellowing pages though, to me it seems to almost have a bit of a magenta tone.)

Kertesz is my favorite photographer, have a few books on him.

Thanks, Sharon. I was really lucky with the seated reader: I noticed him as I was driving past after dropping my daughter off at a friend's, and rushed back on foot having collected my camera from home to find him still engrossed. The tone you can see could be because this was converted using sepia with overlay in iPhoto.

Very interesting series. Actually reminds me of surveillance photos. Taken from a considerable distance so as to not be seen by the subject.

Fred; I like your capture there in post #27 (above) but whoever placed that "sculpture" should be fired. Or never hired again.

IMO

Very nice looking mansion. Where is it ?

Ah, Bavaria. :encouragement:

The last one is a good one ! Ha ha, two girls conferring with stone boy. Oh boy...

The last one is a good one ! Ha ha, two girls conferring with stone boy. Oh boy...

Thanks, Timor. With this one I could tell from the other side of the street that they were going to sit down by the fountain, but, of course, how they positioned themselves in relation to the sculpture was a bit of luck. Nine tenths of street photography is luck!

Maybe more than that. Luck starts with having time to do that. :allteeth:

Well, 90% luck and the rest is down to chance.

Which is the same... Ha ha !
I am now on a project, where chance plays big roll. I have one location, one angle, one camera and I am waiting for interesting clouds. I wonder, if I will have 10 - 15 interesting images by the end of summer...

Nine tenths of street photography is luck!

The more you grow as a photographer the less of a factor luck becomes. In street photography, as in poker, luck is always a factor, but the longer you shoot the less your photography is determined by luck and the more it is formed by your vision, skill and aestetic principles.

Even more importantly, just as in poker, you need to be able to put yourself in a position to exploit your luck. And it does not mean just be in the right place at the right time, it also means to be able to see things and also be able to translate it into top class images. If you do not know how to grab your luck by the throat and maximise the outcome, there is very little value in that luck, be it poker or street shooting.

I just write it because there is a certain tendency or misunderstanding about street photography, often seen as a genre of snapshots with no regards to aestetic or technical things unlike portraiture or landscape. I regard street photography to be as technical as these both two genres in that respect with the only difference that the street scenes do not allow you as much time as a posing model or a landscape. It does often have different aestetics compared to a portrait, but to say that all you need is to see a scene and press the button would be completely wrong and a disservice to the genre as I see it. And you will never get far with that approach. I would say it is a permanent beginner's approach. Or the word "occasional", used in your header, comes to mind.

Last edited:
Nine tenths of street photography is luck!

The more you grow as a photographer the less of a factor luck becomes. In street photography, as in poker, luck is always a factor, but the longer you shoot the less your photography is determined by luck and the more it is formed by your vision, skill and aestetic principles.

Even more importantly, just as in poker, you need to be able to put yourself in a position to exploit your luck. And it does not mean just be in the right place at the right time, it also means to be able to see things and also be able to translate it into top class images. If you do not know how to grab your luck by the throat and maximise the outcome, there is very little value in that luck, be it poker or street shooting.

I just write it because there is a certain tendency or misunderstanding about street photography, often seen as a genre of snapshots with no regards to aestetic or technical things unlike portraiture or landscape. I regard street photography to be as technical as these both two genres in that respect with the only difference that the street scenes do not allow you as much time as a posing model or a landscape. It does often have different aestetics compared to a portrait, but to say that all you need is to see a scene and press the button would be completely wrong and a disservice to the genre as I see it. And you will never get far with that approach. I would say it is a permanent beginner's approach. Or the word "occasional", used in your header, comes to mind.

I was being modest and applying a little humour to avoid being embarrassed or sounding smug in response to what has been rather positive feedback so far on my efforts. You can take the boy out of Britain but you can't take British understatement out of the boy.

Most reactions

Back