Occupations............

Left a full-time newspaper job to work for State Farm and freelance for papers and magazines. Looking to go back full-time photography but the money isn't there... yet.

Nagala said:
. Looking to go back full-time photography but the money isn't there... yet.

Isn't that always the way ??

ksmattfish said:
I was a kitchen manager at a Greek restaurant, but because my photography biz has been working out so well, I recently went part time, so now I'm just a plain old line cook. If the photography biz keeps going well I hope to quit the restaurant biz altogether next year. We'll see, it's scary to not have a steady paycheck coming in.

Edit: oh yeah, I also teach Photography classes at the local arts center, but that's only about 5 hours a week...

Get out of the restaurant quick. There is an old adage that once you've been in the business for 2 years you can never get out! :shock:

Currently I work for Family Tradition Foods (formerly know as Green Giant. But they still pack for the name because they pay for it. They also make their own brand and pack things for other companies such as Campells, Nestle, MarketDay (which is the same as FTF...go figure) Paris Cope *shrugs* I don't know who they are. etc)

They mainly do frozen veggies. I work in the freezer. They can peas and corn in the summer.

They also do rice (Nestle...) and pasta (themselves only I think). I don't know who they get the rice from but they freeze it and for the companies and send it off.

I'm an Attribute there right now and before that and when the carrot season finished anbd they do rice and pasta again I will be a tote filler :)

Attribute takes samples every 15minutes and goes through them to see if theres things in there that shouldnt be. From there they decide if the Tagra operator need to be adjusted and if they need to put it on hold for reinspection or blend *I dont know what this is*. My boss takes care of that. She also eats it and does stuff to it every hour to make sure it tastes good and is blanched enough or not too much.

A tote filler just stands and does the paper work for every tote that gets filled with the frozen product. Totes are HUGE cardboard boxes :)

My boyfriend is a tote maker. I make 9 an hour he makes 8...hehehe...

Hey Photong, I didn't realise I am just a river across from you!!! Detroit that is.

Student in Product design. What's that? I design everything, from vacuum cleaner to power tools to furniture .........

AlisonS said:
Isn't that always the way ??

I guess. I'm making decent money doing it on the side, but when you get used to a certain lifestyle, it's kind of hard to go back to making chump change. I don't mean to sound money-driven, but they really don't pay journalists what they're worth. (I'm talking about the REAL ones, not the handful of talking heads who are paid for their identity instead of their work.)

Nagala said:
I don't mean to sound money-driven, but they really don't pay journalists what they're worth. (I'm talking about the REAL ones, not the handful of talking heads who are paid for their identity instead of their work.)

I don't know if you are talking about photo-journalists, but I noticed that there are more and more "cell phone pics" being used in my local paper. No need to send out a photog with the reporter, or even to teach the reporter to use a point-n-shoot. Can't say I've been impressed with the pics, but I'm sure the newspaper figures most folks don't care, and they save more money (and they are money driven).

I've got an odd job. I'm a male dinner lady... Or to use the posh term, I am a Midday Supervisory Assistant. I look after the kids and make sure they're ok for an hour and a half whilst the teachers eat their lunch. The school has a dodgy reputation. I started on last Thursday and this Friday I was told to "**** off" for the first time by an eight year old. :)
I've had a few problems and I'm using this as a bridge to get onto better things. I'd love to get involved in music radio on some level.

Most reactions

Back