Walking Vlogs as a Technique

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have already posted a short mention of this video in another topic, but I have been thinking about this as a discussion topic. "Walking Vlogs" (my term, I don't know what else to call them) have been around for a while. On the one hand, they are not a huge part of the photography world -- not even if you look more specifically at video, but I think they have a consistent interest. Gerald Undone recently asked if anyone was still vlogging these days. I would say yes, but I'd qualify that with the note that I don't think it was ever hugely popular, but there does seem to be about the same level of interest.

Examples of current practioners? Locally, I can think of "Johnny Strides", "The Ken Continuum" and "Lvfree Adventures". There are others, but they can be hard to find, because if you search for them, you find a lot of "real estate" agency postings. I don't know what it is like in other cities.

Technically, the issues are not all obvious. What struck me early on is the problem of keeping the camera relatively steady. I did not realize how much I bounced when I walked, and the resulting shock to the camera that was transmitted through my arm.

It took me a while to decide how high to hold the camera. Holding it high can be hard after a half hour of walking around. Holding it low means that when you pass people, or "short obstructions", the camera gets blocked. Holding it high can attract attention, which itself can be good or bad. I tend to hold a camera high when there is parked vehicles on the side of the road. Beyond that, I still do not have a real general rule.

The camera I used was my Sony Xperia 10 iii phone which has three cameras, but it only records UHD using the main camera. The tele and ultra-wide are both limited to 1080P. The normal camera (28mm equivalent) was sometimes passable, but the ultra-wide (about 17mm equivalent) have a view that I preferred. I think that, more than just a matter of taste, it depends on where you are walking. The wider your camera, the more "environmental" the image becomes. But I think I like the wider image more for narrower streets. I am still deciding that.

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now.

"230810 Eglinton Ave W. (Toronto) from Cedarvale to Glenholme"
""

Most reactions

New Topics

Back