Of these 3 Nikon wide angle primes are the best?

Box801

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new wide angle prime mainly for photojournalism purposes and some nature shots. Of these three, which is the best for what I'm doing? (I use a Nikon D80)

AF 20mm f/2.8D: Nikon Canada
AF 24mm f/2.8D: Nikon Canada
AF 28mm f/2.8D: Nikon Canada

Thanks!,
box801

The term photojournalism covers a broad spectrum of shooting situations, so you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you are shooting.

All 3 are quality lenses.

Last edited:
If there was only one 'best' lens of the 3, the other two would never be manufactured.

Asking for casual responses from people you don't know may not provide any comparative data. I suggest you might look at Bjorn Rorslett's reviews

Bjorn is well-known, if not famous for exactly this in addition to his superb nature work.

I'm not as familiar with Nikon, but I would not get any of those if I had an ASP-C sensor. You will get a wider angle on most standard or wide-angle zoom lenses. The crop factor takes a lot of the value out of the wide angle. I'd rather have an ultra-wide zoom that can be actually used for wide-angle and give you some flexibility. I had the same dilemma earlier, but I decided that a 17-40 would be much more valuable than a 20 on my crop body. Of course, just ignore this if you have a full-frame.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

Most reactions

Back