off camera flash sync options

matseski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just ordered a Canon 430EX II to go with my 50D, but am a little lost when it comes to off camera sync. I know the 50D cannot trigger off camera flashes without some type of transmitter/cable. Being a college student, I do not have hundreds of dollars for Pocket Wizards or similar expensive options.

I mostly do macro work, so I do not need to trigger a flash a great distance away, I just want the flexibility to put it anywhere within, say, a 5-10ft radius of my camera and obviously I want it to work. I currently have no experience with flashes so I do not quite understand how TTL and all of the other metering features various syncing options retain will effect my work. I shoot in full manual 99.5% of the time, and have always used continuous lighting (never even used the on camera flash), so I am really at a loss as to what is involved with the settings on a flash and how they relate to lighting output. I am sure this will become apparent once I get it, but I would like to be able to experiment with the flash off camera.

I see cables ranging from $10 to $100. I do not quite see what could possibly make a sync cable $100, maybe I am missing something.

That being said, I have seen various wireless options, wires that attach to the hot shoes, and pc sync cords, and combinations of the two. For my application, which will accomplish my needs with the minimal expense?

Thanks

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i use Yongnuo CTR-301P and they work great but watch out for cold weather. they start acting really odd once they get cold lol!! other than that you cant go wrong with the price

How cold is cold? I often do work outside in the winter, but not usually below 10-15F.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back