Off camera remote flash

Wolfgang8810

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking to have a flash set up to the side maybe on a tripod. What would i need to do this and will it be a huge chunk of change? Im looking to do it less than $150. I am a complete camera noob so please use lamens terms. I am using a Nikon D40X with an 18-55mm and a 55-200 VR lens. Thank you in advance.

Mark

Been covered, please do a search here to find it and also to start your research, visit www.strobist.com for more info on how to use it. :)

Yes, strobist has lots of good info. I was in your situation a few months ago. If you want to keep it on a bundget go to gadgetinfinity.com and buy there wireless flash triggers, there less that fo dollars. They will work with most any flash, but they wont be able to automaticly adjust the output through your camera, you will have to adjust the power manually. You will also need a flash stand and a bracket/adapter to mount the flash and trigger to the stand

Or use your camera's flash to trigger your peanut optical triggers attached to your flash for even more savings. Good if you are in your own place... not so good if you take it into a place where others are using a flash.

Nikon has a cable which will allow you to move the flash about 4 or 5 feet from the camera. I think this is the cheapest way, and you still get to use the camera's metering/TTL system.

Nikon has a cable which will allow you to move the flash about 4 or 5 feet from the camera. I think this is the cheapest way, and you still get to use the camera's metering/TTL system.

True. You are still a"slave" to that cable length, though. Also, once you get more experienced, you can get better results than what TTL offerss. TTL is one of those crutches that is normally nice to have, but not really needed if you understand things.

Most reactions

Back