Oh my gosh! Hassie has done it again!

jstuedle said:
Lets analyze that statement. In a time when Bill Gates built the first PC and said "nobody will EVER need more than 640 K RAM" I could see your point. But now we now have ever bigger and ever faster computers. If you can afford a almost 40 Meg back, AND a new Hassy, then you can afford a 4 gig hz 'puter with dual processors and 8 gig of RAM. And film is sexier? I don't know about that. It's older, but sexier? From a strictly guy viewpoint. Film is old and smelly, digital is young and, well you get the idea. :lol:

Actually if you are speaking of the Mac G5 then it's a quad core processor lol.

Interesting. No, actually I was referring to something like the AMD 64 dual core that can have up to 8 processors on a single main board. Two processors is the norm for high end servers and graphic workstations. Kicks a Intel P4 dual processor board outta the park.

I think it is just not practical if you can only store one shot. I hope they will be using wireless communications with instant upload to a server. And if one file is only 115MB how is that only one file? Unless you cannot add or increase your storage card.

Just looked at the specs..

gray_list.gif
Image storage: Image Bank external hard drive
gray_list.gif
tom.gif
Image size, 1-shot: 66 MByte 8 bit RGB / 132 MByte 16 bit RGB
tom.gif
tom.gif

gray_list.gif
tom.gif
Image size, 4-shot: 66 MByte 8 bit RGB / 132 MByte 16 bit RGB
tom.gif
tom.gif

gray_list.gif
tom.gif
Image size, 4xRes shot: 264 MByte 8 bit RGB / 528 MByte 16 bit RGB
gray_list.gif
Storage capacity single shot: 850 full resolution images

Seems there is a bit of room but who wants to sacrafice quality?
Oops, sorry this is for the 22MP one.

Ghoste said:

Let's make sure we have our details straight... the top-end G5 is dual-core which means it's a quad-processor, and is 2.5Ghz (per processor), which is nowhere near the clock speed of the 4Ghz AMD. That said, I have no idea which is overall faster. But being a mac fan, I just wanted to take the unnecessary effort to make sure all of the details are straight. :er:

Yeah but 8 gigs of ram on a 10,000 RPM hard drive is awefully fun.. I do know that the top G5 is two processors with dual cores each. But until you can put two AMD 4800+ x2 processors in one computer and it be cheaper then the mac I'll take the mac.. allthough I'm totally for AMD :D

Do you know what the Front Side Bus on the G5 is?

Ok, let me clear this up for you. Hasselblad doesn't make a digital back, it is Phase One that recently announced the 39mp back. Hasselblad promotes it because they want thier camera used with it. In fact, all the phase one backs, including thier current 22mp back, 15mp, 12mp, etc. can be used on almost all medium format cameras as well as large format adapters. There are several versions of the backs, currently the H25 and the P25 are the high end backs. H25 must be teathered to a computer, P25 can use cards. Most people that use these backs unteathered, use 8gb cards. They are not making these backs with built in hard drives.
These backs are not meant for casual shooters. The file sizes are not rediculous, at 22mp the file sizes are 60mb, which is good for most professional applications. When shooting for billboards or people that are not sure of the final output, then 39mp works better. Clients commonly recommend files of this size. As for shooting film instead, um get with the times.
For Amateur photographers, do what you can afford and what you like, whether it be film, digital, whatever.

Most reactions

Back