Ok First Attempt

fotogenik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first attempt at Portrait Photography.

C&C welcome and encouraged. Rip it apart. I am not particularly pleased with the image so you won't hurt my feelings.

victoria-101newedit.jpg

As Jello has already pointed out, the lighting could be improved. When you start out in lighting, look at the eye sockets and nose shadow - get those right and the rest should fall into place.

The whole image seems a little desaturated. I'm guessing it is film and that maybe you've scanned a print? Hang on, you've got D50 in your sig... hmm. Looks a bit washed out anyway, perhaps have a play in PS, unless you like it like that.

The black of her trousers has lost its detail due to the contrast and lighting.

I'm not too sure about the pose, looks a bit like she's going to the loo! This is because it looks like she's shoulders-hunched and pressing on her thighs, perhaps it would work better with the hands dangling, a bit more "natural".

Personally, I think catchlights in the eyes are pretty much essential in a studio type portrait. The eyes are the most important part of the face, and you need to inject some light into them to get a good connection with the model. The angle you've got her looking at makes that really hard and is a tad unflattering.

I'm not a fan of the combination of the outfit, lipstick, hair colour and background combined. You've got a dark background, dark trousers and shoes, dark hair combined in a way where if the skin is exposed correctly, the background/clothes are going to lose detail.

Hopefully you will find this helpful - you've already decided that you're not entirely happy, so I'm confident you'll take it the right way and have another go - she's a good looking model! If you get her in a more middle-toned outfit and get a couple of lights to balance things, then you'll be much improved.

Rob

Okie, since you gave me permission to rip it apart... ;)

PLEASE don't be offended...I'm just offering constructive criticism, so take it or leave it as you will. I do a ton of portraiture.

• It looks blown out on nearly all the skin tones (that could be a product of jpeg compression or a scan, though)
  • Her hair needs brushed and conditioned
  • Bring her hair down so it's falling over her shoulders instead of draping back over them to her back.
  • I think she's trying to look sexy, but she just looks ****ed.
  • Turn her more to the side so it's not a crotch-shot.
  • It looks like your light is positioned a foot or so above her head. Bring it down to get some more light into her eyes.
  • Liquefy in the little roll of flesh hanging over the waist of her pants. I know she's rail-thin, but the pose naturally pushes that roll over the belt. 2 seconds in liquefy makes it better.
  • Use the hair on camera-left to either cover her eye or clear it (and her mouth), but not clip the very corner like it is now.
  • Getting her turned more to the side will give her chest a little more definition.
  • Is that a stray hair hanging down next to her necklace?
  • I'm fine with the dark background (I LOVE dropping the background out with dramatic lighting like that), but a light to the back-camera-left as a hair-light would give the top edge of her head some definition and make it stand out, even though she's got dark hair.
  • The crop is very plain for such a dramatic pose. Try it as more of a panoramic with her looking into a big, dark, negative space. Make that darkness work for the image.
  • If you can keep the definition of her legs standing out off the background, try it in black and white, very deep contrasty black and white. Make sure you keep the legs nice and visible though, or it'd be a floating head/torso photo.
Like I said, this is just me nit-picking the image. Some of these things are pretty major, others are VERY minor. Overall it's a great start! Now it's time to just fine-tune. :D

Cheers,
John

Agreeing with Sharkbait.........
It looks like you have a good idea, and a few tweaks will get 'ya there.
:)

Thanks a bunch guys. I agree with everything you guys have sed on this image. I am just starting into this arena and need all the CC I can get. been discussing several images from this shoot with a friend of mine and I have pretty much decided to trash the entire shoot.

Just wanted to get some outside opinions on the technical aspects of one of them so I can get some ideas as to where to go.

I only have one direction to go....up.

Thanks again,

Rashadan said:
Thanks a bunch guys. I agree with everything you guys have sed on this image. I am just starting into this arena and need all the CC I can get. been discussing several images from this shoot with a friend of mine and I have pretty much decided to trash the entire shoot.

Just wanted to get some outside opinions on the technical aspects of one of them so I can get some ideas as to where to go.

I only have one direction to go....up.

Thanks again,

That's the most promising thing I've heard for a while. You'll be much more critical on your next shoot and I'm sure you'll get more pleasing results.

Don't be disheartened either - as you get better, you get fussier and it often seems like you're not improving - trust me, you will be! Your next go will probably fix most of the technical issues.

Get out there shooting and show us your next lot, I'm sure you'll do great!

Rob

Portraiture is a LOT harder than it looks and than it seems at first. Especially if you see stereotyped "photoshoots" on tv or something ("C'mon, work the camera--click click click---Yeah that's it, now show me angry--click click click") It's not like that at all, or at the very least there's a TON of setup and planning to do beforehand.

It took me a good 3 months of shooting portraits every single day before it started to click and I started getting results that I could live with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back