OK! The D7000 has arrived. Now what?!

I actually never even knew you could shift it around back when I was using it, which is funny. I've really not used it in probably 6-7 years now, so I haven't had an excuse to play with it since I found that little tidbit out.

So thanks for mentioning it. I totally forgot about that.

I actually never even knew you could shift it around back when I was using it, which is funny. I've really not used it in probably 6-7 years now, so I haven't had an excuse to play with it since I found that little tidbit out.

So thanks for mentioning it. I totally forgot about that.

I figured I should mention the "shift" capability of Program mode. The MAIN difference between Canon's "Green Box" mode and P mode is the shiftability of P mode, whereas the Green Box automatic mode is pretty much "you get what you get" and is not user-shiftable.

The green box mode also does auto-ISO and flash, too, right?

Also, to learn settings, go and shoot manual for a month. Play with different settings of ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed. That's the BEST way to learn and understand how the three are connected, but you'll find it frustrating. Books and tutorials will help, but hands on experience is the best way to learn.

Best,
Jake
Agreed, I found shooting in manual in the beginning most helpful to understand the basics of photography.
I also found youtube very helpful and free.

Ok, step one remove from box. Step two insert battery. Step three attach lens. Step four start shooting and enjoy.

The rest you just pretty much figure out as you go.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Ok, step one remove from box. Step two insert battery. Step three attach lens. Step four start shooting and enjoy.

Dont forget to charge the battery first!!
And take the OEM lens caps off.

Dont forget to charge the battery first!!
And take the OEM lens caps off.

Lens cap?

Aha! Ok that explains a lot. Lol

So, I've picked up David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography, a Nikon D7000 and a Nikkor 35mm/1.8g lens. After about the second chapter, the book lost me.

I'm new to DSLR photography and photography in general. I've done a little research via google about ISO, aperature, shutter speed, etc. and have a very minimal understanding of it all.

As of right now, I could use help with my lightbox and getting the best possible settings with my D7000. I understand that ISO should be as low as possible for the least amount of noise. I'm sure I could use a tripod, but I like to get in there and take pictures at odd angles. I like to set my products apart with unique photos (ebay) and a tripod limits what I can do.

How should I go about this? I take pictures of vintage metal razors primarily.

Does anyone have any good reading material / complete idiots guide to DSLR photography that I can read online somewhere? Maybe tutorials on different camera settings that produce cool effects?

I shoot with a D7000. I also have that 35mm f1.8 prime and the Busch book. Let me offer a few tips.

1. Start with the manual over the Busch book. I like Busch. But it will make a lot more sense once you get familiar on a basic level with a DSLR. Right now, I bet it's all Greek to you.

2. Get a household object like a pencil. Or a pen. Or a fork. Don't start with a razor b/c you'll just frustrate the crap out of yourself. Take your pencil/pen/fork. And start manipulating the camera and shooting that object. Set the camera to "A" (for aperture mode). Read in the manual how to adjust the aperture. Get yourself a white board or a bunch of post-it notes or index cards. Start at f1.8 and keep raising the f-stop as you shoot that object (and each picture, you right down on the index card or white board what the aperture setting is) and make sure that is next to the object you're shooting (right next to it). Have a couple of other objects scattered in the background (so you can see the difference the change in aperture makes). There are a lot of things that you will need to learn about your D7000. But given what you're shooting, what you said you wanted to do (get bokeh or blur in the background), and the lens you got, then the first thing you should learn to do (once you get past turning the camera on, learning where basic bells and whistles are) is the impact of aperture and how to adjust it. And if you start by shooting razors you'll get frustrated b/c the pictures aren't looking like you want them to look. But if you shoot a fork it's just an experiment with a fricking fork. Take your time. Once you've discovered the impact of aperture, start changing how you shoot the fork and what your distance/perspective/angle is. You think a fork is just a fork? In fact, don't even attempt to shoot a razor for at least a week, maybe two weeks. Otherwise your camera phone razor pictures will look better than your DSLR razor pictures. And that will just discourage you and piss you off simultaneously.

$Fork-1.jpg

This is a fork. If I remember correctly, I shot this with the same 35mm f1.8 (either than or my 50mm f1.4).

3. The next thing you're going to need to work on (and this is where both the manual and the Busch book will come in handy) is the whole issue of focus. Focal points (one or many?). How to shift the focal point in the view. How to deal with a range of depth. The D7000 gives you a lot of options, they aren't all intuitive. My wife, for instance, refuses to take pictures of me on vacation with my D7000 body b/c they always come out unfocused (or focused on something other than me) if when set on "auto"...she doesn't know how the focal points work and how to freeze the focus.

Okay, there's a lot more to it than just these things. But do these three things and you'll be able to start shooting some snazzy pictures of razors in a couple of weeks.

So, I've picked up David Busch's Nikon D7000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography, a Nikon D7000 and a Nikkor 35mm/1.8g lens. After about the second chapter, the book lost me.

I'm new to DSLR photography and photography in general. I've done a little research via google about ISO, aperature, shutter speed, etc. and have a very minimal understanding of it all.

As of right now, I could use help with my lightbox and getting the best possible settings with my D7000. I understand that ISO should be as low as possible for the least amount of noise. I'm sure I could use a tripod, but I like to get in there and take pictures at odd angles. I like to set my products apart with unique photos (ebay) and a tripod limits what I can do.

How should I go about this? I take pictures of vintage metal razors primarily.

Does anyone have any good reading material / complete idiots guide to DSLR photography that I can read online somewhere? Maybe tutorials on different camera settings that produce cool effects?

I shoot with a D7000. I also have that 35mm f1.8 prime and the Busch book. Let me offer a few tips.

1. Start with the manual over the Busch book. I like Busch. But it will make a lot more sense once you get familiar on a basic level with a DSLR. Right now, I bet it's all Greek to you.

2. Get a household object like a pencil. Or a pen. Or a fork. Don't start with a razor b/c you'll just frustrate the crap out of yourself. Take your pencil/pen/fork. And start manipulating the camera and shooting that object. Set the camera to "A" (for aperture mode). Read in the manual how to adjust the aperture. Get yourself a white board or a bunch of post-it notes or index cards. Start at f1.8 and keep raising the f-stop as you shoot that object (and each picture, you right down on the index card or white board what the aperture setting is) and make sure that is next to the object you're shooting (right next to it). Have a couple of other objects scattered in the background (so you can see the difference the change in aperture makes). There are a lot of things that you will need to learn about your D7000. But given what you're shooting, what you said you wanted to do (get bokeh or blur in the background), and the lens you got, then the first thing you should learn to do (once you get past turning the camera on, learning where basic bells and whistles are) is the impact of aperture and how to adjust it. And if you start by shooting razors you'll get frustrated b/c the pictures aren't looking like you want them to look. But if you shoot a fork it's just an experiment with a fricking fork. Take your time. Once you've discovered the impact of aperture, start changing how you shoot the fork and what your distance/perspective/angle is. You think a fork is just a fork? In fact, don't even attempt to shoot a razor for at least a week, maybe two weeks. Otherwise your camera phone razor pictures will look better than your DSLR razor pictures. And that will just discourage you and piss you off simultaneously.

View attachment 68736

This is a fork. If I remember correctly, I shot this with the same 35mm f1.8 (either than or my 50mm f1.4).

3. The next thing you're going to need to work on (and this is where both the manual and the Busch book will come in handy) is the whole issue of focus. Focal points (one or many?). How to shift the focal point in the view. How to deal with a range of depth. The D7000 gives you a lot of options, they aren't all intuitive. My wife, for instance, refuses to take pictures of me on vacation with my D7000 body b/c they always come out unfocused (or focused on something other than me) if when set on "auto"...she doesn't know how the focal points work and how to freeze the focus.

Okay, there's a lot more to it than just these things. But do these three things and you'll be able to start shooting some snazzy pictures of razors in a couple of weeks.

Fantastic. So there IS a way to control the autofocus haha. I was messing around with metering but never got into detail with it. It's hard with so little free time.

I know how to set iso, aperature, shutter and all that now. I know the basics of A mode and S mode. I'm not good at it but I am beginning to get it

Focusing is my issue. I wan to utilize the advanced focus technology. The book explains that well and in lay and terms?

Also, I love the built in raw photo editor in photoshop! I accidentally changed from jpg to raw format. Amazing!

I bought the book
Mastering the Nikon d7000 by Darrel Young
as the manual was nothing but confusing to me
This book taught me so much in simple terms that the manual started making sense lol

Mastering the Nikon D7000: Darrell Young: 9781933952802: Amazon.com: Books

To learn Depth of Field, basically what a 1.4 or 1.8 lens does for you, I simply went to a fence and took a shot along it. This allowed you to understand before and after your focus point (use AF-S Single Focus point) to focus on one part of the fence. YOu then see how the depth of field works in large apertures such as f/1.8. You can also do this was a yardstick/ruler to see the effects too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks man.

Yah in about a week, I've learned so much. I fully understand iso, aperature, shutter speed and so on. It just clicks. Now I need to learn how to compose ;)

More importantly I would like a lens that I could get closer to a subject to shoot macro style. My 35mm/1.8 is awesome but not ideal for my close up razor and brush shots. What should I look for?? Less than 1 ft distance

I used that book I mentioned and went through and tested each feature/function on the camera.
It really helps to know what your camera can do and recognize it - then you can look up specifics in the manual.

Most reactions

Back