Old Adobe Home

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I pass by this house every once in a while and I always say one of these days I would like to shoot it. My thoughts would be on a cloudy sunset would be ideal but today a storm came in and although the sun never made it through the clouds I was able to get off what I think are a few decent pictures. This house is very old adobe home. I can not believe it still stands but, it does.

old adobe home by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

old adobe home 2 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

and a close up of the chimney or what ever you call this pipe sticking out.

chimney by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Some would call that a chimney or smoke stack. Any other material than adobe and they would call it a fire hazard. How old do you figure the place is? I imagine its made from the mud nearby.

If I had to guess I would say at least 70-80 years if not more. It was built before our city expanded far east. So yeah minimum of 70 years. Every time I pass by I always think dang that place looks likes it's going to fall apart. I think it's so cool that mud and surrounding shrubs could make this house. I believe someone still lives there.

Well I'm glad you got some pictures before the place is no longer there. I think the processing you did, fits the setting/subject well.

I always like the sharpness of your shots VIP do you do sharping in maskes for example sharping the house and not sharping the sky ? Or is there another way your doing it ?

Thanks folks!

CaboWabo, personally I don't use unsharp masks very often. What I like to do is this.

In photoshop;
1- duplicate layer
2- filter/other/highpass
3- you will have to play with the value until you find something you like and works for you. (you don't have to go to high as it will be extremely sharp )
4- Then go to your layer pallet and in the drop down menu change your layer to linear light.
5- You can adjust opacity if it is to sharp or repeat until you figure out what you need
6- I sometimes will make that layer a mask layer and mask out areas that I don't want as sharp. (overly sharp images are not always best)

This technique yields awesome results! I have created two actions using this filter so now I just go to my actions pallet and click and play and wala.....

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help , I just started learning about actions yesterday in fact when I first started I didnt understand that its seems to me its about 50% photography and 50% photoshop such a big learning curve for those who didnt learn it in school

Cabo - The 50/50 you mentioned is kinda up to the individual. There are some that say get it right out of the camera, there are some that spend little time in post and some that spend a lot of time in post. I think it is just up to the individual. If you are more into the graphics part than yeah easy 50/50 or more. My back ground is in graphic design so that reflects in my photos. I always am attracted to those types of photos that were pushed...but, thats just me.

here is an example. I took a picture of this same house from across the road and it just felt spooky so I thought I would process this photo with that feeling. To me it looks more like a ghost house with this processing. There will be mixed emotions and opinions whether or not this is a good photo. I spent more time with filters and effects to bring out this look than what the photo is probably really worth but, I enjoy doing it.

adobe ghost home by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Vip I understand what you mean about the 50/50 for me learning its 50/50 right now but hope to get better I like the 2nd shot but I myself like photos that are pushed a bit as well but on the same hand I respect the ones that are going for realism as well .

Nice HDR detail in the adobe brick and rustic chimney. Yes, some warm sidelight would be best and is often associated with adobe work, but you can never make things to order. :confused:

It would be really interesting if you approached the inhabitants and asked about the house and maybe if you could get some interior shots. Im thinking the interior is as interesting as the exterior.

Yeah, that might be a cool idea. I will have to stop by next pass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back