Old Chili Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, until you learn to do a decent HDR your opinion means squat to me. All you do is pump more bad tone mapped images here looking for praise. As for denying that the images Im talking about give HDR a bad name, you're nuts if you believe that. So many people see images like this and think thats the result of people knowing what they are doing and call it crap. Its really pretty simple, this is the forum for HDR images. If they arent HDR images they should be someplace else. Is that too hard to understand?
And there is a thread for these non HDR images.....its called Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery. Its located directly above the HDR Discussions thread.

Last edited:
Bynx -If they ever create that section thats, probably where I would spend my time. :thumbup:

Lets be real though for a second. How many folks really post HDR images on what they were intended for? Unless you are using photoshop to layer mask in all the details of each exposure without the use of tonemapping and software then everyone here is failed.

I may sound rude and I honestly am not trying to be rude but, you are not the final say on what should be posted here or not. If you take more than one exposure slap it into photomatix or any other software and post process then the only place to post it is in this section.

We have a hard enough time with being accepted by all the other groups of people on this forum that trying to direct or steer folks away from here who want to learn and try other methods than what you like, well, thats not a positive message to send. There is a starting place for everyone and think back to when you started. Were your skills as good as they are now? I would think not so keep in mind that the skill set of each individual
will evolve over time and we should be encouraging rather than discouraging.

You like painterly yes? Great, is that the only way to process HDR? Its not a photorealistic image that HDR is intended for but you still post in this section. Why because it is a method of using HDR which fits in with this section. Based off your comment your photos are monkeyed around with as well just not as much as this image is.

Please don't be some type of purist here because I really don't think it's flattering. You don't have to comment, you don't have to look nobody is twisting our arm. There are many people trying out HDR and joining, there are going to be good and bad processed images. You won't be able to tell just by the title if the image is to your liking or standards until you check it out. At that point if you like it than comment if you have words
of wisdom to help then post. If you think its not worth your breath than simply hit the back button and your are out. It's very simple.

well, I have a question now...I have been wanting to give HDR a shot, just because it looked kinda cool and figured it couldn't hurt to try. If i set my D90 to bracket, and take three pictures
at different exposures, and plug those three pictures into photomatix, is THAT an HDR picture? (i got photomatix because i saw it on someones post as HDR software) or is there something
else I need to do that makes it HDR? I really want to give it a try, but if I cant do it right, I would rather not do it at all.

HDR is high dynamic range. When you do HDR the goal is capture the full or most range in the scene. You want details in darks and and details in highlights and midtones. To make an hdr image you need different sets of exposures that cover this range. At this point then you can use photoshop, photomatix, hdr pro and so on to merge the files together. Programs like photomatix have tonemapping filters that help to bring out more detail in all these areas. This is where you start. The new photomatix software offers at the end the capability to correct contrast, color and sharpness. IF you don't do this then photoshop is where most finish up there photos.

When you get an image like I have posted there is way more processing and masking that goes on that makes the image look like it does.

As far as doing it right or wrong is all RELATIVE!

Vip that section IS created. See my last post. And its not a matter of how good some is, its a matter of purposely making something look so bad, if its supposed to be an HDR image.

To answer you pixmedic, HDR is very simple. Taking 3 shots, (if the difference between the brightests and darkest in the scene can be covered with 3 shots) and putting those shots through Photomatix will result in a somewhat flat image if done properly. The latest version offers a sharpness, contrast and color tweek, otherwise use Photoshop to give some Exposure correction, and Gamma Correction and maybe noise reduction if needed. Instead of rewriting the whole thing about HDR read the good sticky at the top of the HDR forum. It explains what it is and how to achieve it. But its really simple.

An HDR is the tonal range of two or more images which is tone mapped in Photomatix or any other software or plugin designed expressly for that purpose with some minor tweaking to enhance clarity, sharpness for a more life like image. Actually layering in Photoshop creates the same thing but is more difficult for many and not an option for a lot. Any single image whether its a Raw file or a single jpeg that has been tone mapped is not an HDR. Any image that is further enhanced with the likes of Topaz Adjust etc does not create an HDR. While the looks of the finals can look really good to some, and not so much to others, the place to upload them is to the Graphics Programs Photo Gallery. Why is there a problem with that? I assure you if you did that you wouldnt be hearing from me. Meanwhile if you come up with an actual HDR image then post it here and knock my socks off.

Any attempt at HDR from me will be done with several images run through photomatix pro 4.0.2.
not sure if that is the version that lets me fix up contrast and such at the end, but I guess Ill find out.
I did see in the photomatix program that it has a button to just import one picture and tonemap it. doesnt seem like it would be the same thing though.
Im going to try the 3 pic at different exposures option and see what I can do with it. I also have photoshop mastersuite CS5, and a slightly older version of lightroom, but i am not really very adept with them.

If you download the latest version of Photomatix your serial number will work with it. There is a wider selection of presets to choose from in the newer version but I think it will be a bad thing for many since they have problems choosing the right one with the version with fewer to choose from. If you bracket 3 shots with the middle shot being your best single shot for the scene and run it through Photomatix choose Default to start with process and in Photoshop go to Exposure and give it as much as it needs so the highlights dont get blown out. Then use Gamma Correction to around 75 or 80 to punch up the blacks. Then run it through Unsharp Mask. If your image is Hi res then the numbers are 220, 2.5 and 0. Check the preview, run it and download it here and show these guys what a newbie can do. If you shoot a scene with a dynamic range like your living room where the sky shines through the window, the table lamp is on and there is a shadow under the coffee table then 3 shots wont be enough but it will be a place to start.

Vip that section IS created. See my last post. And its not a matter of how good some is, its a matter of purposely making something look so bad, if its supposed to be an HDR image.

Are you going to start posting your painterly images in there? Lead by example right:playball:

Steve, until you learn to do a decent HDR your opinion means squat to me. All you do is pump more bad tone mapped images here looking for praise. As for denying that the images Im talking about give HDR a bad name, you're nuts if you believe that. So many people see images like this and think thats the result of people knowing what they are doing and call it crap. Its really pretty simple, this is the forum for HDR images. If they arent HDR images they should be someplace else. Is that too hard to understand?
And there is a thread for these non HDR images.....its called Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery. Its located directly above the HDR Discussions thread.

Wow, I don't know that I've ever encountered someone more in need of having their panties unknotted.

I don't look for "praise" with my photos, primarily because, unless I specifically ask for comments, I don't particularly give a rat's ass what anyone thinks of them. In particular, I will never allow myself to be burdened by being concerned what your opinion is.

Second, who are you to determine what should and shouldn't be posted here? You act as though you're some all-knowing HDR God. Well, you've posted some nice stuff. You've posted some real garbage, too. We all have our off days.

You seem to have some real issues. God forbid someone attack your beloved HDR. Holy Christ, THE HUMANITY!!

Get over yourself, Bynx, you're not that good...

Bynx said:
If something is worth taking the time to photograph, then why not show it to us the way it looks and not the way it shouldnt look. A shot like the truck here doesnt belong in the HDR section but in a section that should be named Digitally Altered Images. It really gives HDR a bad name.

Really? Really? Seriously?

*facepalms so hard it creates a black hole*

Bynx said:
If something is worth taking the time to photograph, then why not show it to us the way it looks and not the way it shouldnt look. A shot like the truck here doesnt belong in the HDR section but in a section that should be named Digitally Altered Images. It really gives HDR a bad name.

Really? Really? Seriously?

*facepalms so hard it creates a black hole*

:lol:

Why is there a problem with that?

Quite honestly, the only person here with a problem, and the only person who's failed to realize he has a problem, is you...

I assure you if you did that you wouldnt be hearing from me.

And who are you? Who are you that someone should be concerned about "hearing" from you?

You really have an amazingly huge ego.

And, from the comments I'm seeing here, that ego is unfounded...

I really like HDR and this is the HDR forum. If you have something else and there is a place for it somewhere else then why not file it there? Are you too obtuse to understand that? You dump your stuff here when it should be there and then get your nickers in a knot when I finally say enough is enough. Is there some reason you dont like posting where it belongs? Lets see more HDR and less crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back