Old coloured filters on DSLRs?

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I never used colour filters back in the day when I shot film, and barely use any filters at all now that I shoot 100% digital. However, and as part of a lens package that I'm about to pull the trigger on, I will be receiving these filters from the film era:

Nikon B12 (blue)
Nikon R60 (red)
Nikon O56 (orange)
Nikon Y48 (yellow)

So here's my ignorant question: do these filters have any value in digital photography?

I have a couple (orange, green, red & yellow) that I bought when I was taking the film classes, and have not used them on the D40. I would guess they would work as designed if you are shooting greyscale (as opposed to shooting color & converting in post).

I might have to try it and see what happens.

It really depends on your style of photography whether they will work out for you or not. I'm not against them, but I also don't use them. They create a cool artsy effect in your images if used at the right moment. Using a yellow filter during a sunset tends to brighten and put extra emphasis on your oranges and yellowish tones. So, they have a huge benefit when used correctly.

They're just not my thing.

These filters are useful with black and white film, and with Monochrome digital cameras. The white-balance of your camera takes the place of color-correction filters. Black and white conversion software allows you to emulate color filters when converting color images to monochrome. Putting a Yellow filter (for example) on a color digital camera means that you lower response from the Blue pixels, and this is going to impact the interpolation process.

OK. I did a quick four-shot comparison: color without & with filter, and grey scale without and with filter. Nikon D40 set for fine JPG, normal or B&W processing, and a Hoya orange filter. The white balance was adjusted in LR3 so both pair of photos (color and B&W) were the same.

Overview of all 4 shots. About as I expected - the orange filter sets an overly warm tone to the color image. In the B&W, the filter lightens the red and yellow tones and darkens the blue and green areas.
View attachment 34521

Detail.
View attachment 34522

Hi, I've moved your thread to the Digital Q&A, since it's not a film-related discussion.

Good luck with your filters! :)

I'm not sure a color filter could do anything you couldn't do with the Selective Color adjustment in PS.

Thank you all for your help, very useful, in particular the sample images.

Brian, I thought that the red filter would darken the sky?

The Red filter does darken the sky, brings out clouds. Been reading the "old books"...

Your eye is most sensitive to Yellow, least sensitive to Blue. Panchromatic film has a "dip" in green response. Digital sensors have a much mor flat response compared with classic film. So- an Orange filter seems to give the same look as a yellow filter on film. The Red filter, about what I remember with film. I'll load up the M3 with some black and white, and have to shoot a comparison. Now the weather needs to cooperate.

R60, Red- another example:

L1000021 by putahexanonyou, on Flickr

These are with a 1950 Jupiter-3 5cm F1.5, stopped down to F4.

If you're shooting a camera with a Bayer array (i.e. anything EXCEPT the monochrom) all a color filter on the front is likely to do is throw information away. You should be able to do anything the filter does in post, and with more control.

An exception might be where you'd be losing the data anyways. A very bright sky, for instance, might be tamed and brought into range with the rest of the exposure with a red filter, rather than being blown out. If it would NOT have been blown out, however, you're simply reducing the bit depth of those pixels and potentially losing some subtle gradations.

Well, that's all theoretical, but I think it's sound..

Thanks again all.

One last question: what is the optical quality of old Nikon filters (like the ones I mentioned above or the L37c, which is a UV filter)?

KenC - I agree completely, you can apply the same effect of colored filters in post; even better since the intensity (or density) is variable.
BrianV - that makes sense. Though the orange filter did lighten the warm & darken the cool, I really expected the effect to be more significant. I thought it may have been the camera's conversion algorithm.
amolitor - And there are other (and I guess, better) ways to address a very bright sky.

Thanks again all.

One last question: what is the optical quality of old Nikon filters (like the ones I mentioned above or the L37c, which is a UV filter)?

The "c" means the filter is multicoated. I have used the Nikon filters with my 20 year old DCS200ir Monochrome digital, they are as good as you will find. I've been using them with the new Leica Monochrome camera now.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back