Old family photo

Larkan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wondering if someone can offer some suggestions? My sister has through a genealogist recovered a low resolution photo of my maternal grandfather which was lifted from a blog. The resolution is poor for the purpose of getting a hard copy done. I'm sure this is pretty basic to many of you ......... any help would be great.

GeorgeRees.png

What do you want to do with it? It looks pretty good to me. Maybe contact the blog owner and see if they can make you a copy? or send a higher resolution scan?

Hello and welcome, I will have a go at this image leave it with me for a while......

I took the one you posted, changed the resolution to 300 ppi, removed the color cast, reduced noise and cleaned up some blotches with the spot healing brush. If you print it full size it would 4.75 x 7.75 inches. Cheers

hHfrmim.jpg

Jons did better than me, such a small file to work with, sorry...

I took the one you posted, changed the resolution to 300 ppi, removed the color cast, reduced noise and cleaned up some blotches with the spot healing brush. If you print it full size it would 4.75 x 7.75 inches. Cheers

hHfrmim.jpg
wow so beautifully done...

wow so beautifully done...
For sure! We see that he hadn't started shaving yet when this photo was made.

To me it looks off to remove all the warmer tone of the original photograph because it takes away from it being from another era. It's probably yellowed with age and maybe that needs to be adjusted some, but it should be closer to a true black and white, not so grayscale, more a sepia tone. (You'd maybe have to see a printed photo done in a darkroom to realize the difference.) I think it should show the quality of the original and not be so smooth, it makes him look somewhat artificial.

It would have been better if the geneologist had not stolen the photo (a link to the blog would've been the appropriate thing to be provided). It would be better to ask the blogger who most likely owns the photograph if he/she would send you a higher res copy (I usually scan/print at 600) for your personal use.

Last edited:

hHfrmim.jpg
Wow that is great
Thanks for your efforts.

I'm not qualified to comment on the tech aspects you mentioned which is exactly why I made my request.
Your comments on the Genealogist lifting the photo is true and I agree it would have been nice to ask. I'm three removed from the genealogist and not responsible for his/her actions however I have gone to the blogger to ask for a copy of the original should she still have it........ I'm not in a position to do much more than that.
Cheers Larkan

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back