Old Garage Window, Brambles and Boards

Ed Bray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first exposed 4x5 photograph taken on my Toyo C Monorail Camera with a Schneider 90mm f8 Super Angulon Lens on Kodal Tri-X 320 and rated at ISO 640 the exposure was 1/15th Sec at f32. This was Semi-Stand processed in Caffenol CL (1.4g of KBr) @21 degrees C using the Taco Method of 4x 4x5 films in a Paterson Universal Tank with constand agitation for the 1st 30 seconds and 3 inversions of the tank after a following 2, 4, 8, 18 minutes with the Caffenol drained out after a further 40 minutes. After 4 tanks of water constantly agaitated the films were fixed with an Alkali fixer for 4 minutes. After washing the films for 8 minutes they were hung up to dry in my film dryer.

The film was then scanned using an Epson V750 scanner using the Epson dual 4x5 film holder and Silverfast 8 64 bit AI Studio. The films were scanned at 3200 dpi which gave a 16 bit, 340MB image (14912 x 11825). The image has been worked upon in Photoshop CS5 and also some localised processing using the control points in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.
I got the inspiration for this image when looking through Ansel Adam's The Camera (trying to make sense of how the monorail camera works) and seeing an image of 'Boards & Thistles' when I realised that I had something a little similar at the bottom of my garden (for garden read 'jungle').

Although this was my first developed 4 x 5 sheet of film (actually 1 of 4 but 1st exposed and safely stored), I have to confess that I had tried 2 previous exposures (both in the same film holder and both ruined) on this subject as I had managed to insert the films into the dark slide groove and after exposing the films could not get the dark slides back into their slot, a lesson learned. I have also learned how difficult it is to get the film out of a Fidelity Deluxe DDS whilst I had no trouble at all with the Fidelity Elite DDS.

The negative has a fantastic range of tones and I am really pleased that after my recent trials with the Caffenol CL and Semi-Stand development gave me the knowledge to expose this film rated at 1 stop higher than the box speed.

Using the monorail camera seems a steep learning curve even with my previous experience with my Canon Tilt/Shift lenses and my Fuji GX680 cameras. It engenders a much slower way of working and requires serious thought on the photographer of what he is trying to acheive, not least because each frame of Tri X costs over £1 (1.5ish euros/dollers).

Old Garage Window, Brambles and Boards by Ed Bray, on Flickr

I like it all but the windows. I don't know if that's plastic or what but it doesn't work. Maybe just by darkening them you can get by with it.

Thanks for your comments, the glass is smashed in a couple of panes and there is some rolled up plastic sheet behind the windows. I tried darkening the plastic but preferred it more 'as is' as darkening the sheet left the highlights on the sunlit brambles at the bottom left of the image the brightest part of the image and changed the feel of the image completely.

Most reactions

Back