Old polarized filter from 70s - any different than modern filters?

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive got an older polarized filter from my fathers manual 35mm gear, its in great condition, and i even wonder if he ever used it. It actually can be rotated around after its screwed on (maybe they all do that?). Its a 55mm size which doesnt quite fit my canon kit lens but it does sit pretty evenly over the lens if i hold it there.

i dont know anything about the quality but it says "Tiffen Polarizer 55mm Japan" around the edge

ive never used a polarized filter but is this as good as any? Have modern filters gotten any better since 30 years ago?

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Won't work on a digital camera. You need a circular polarizer for digital.

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
It may or may not work. If it's from the 70s, it may well be a linear polarizer which may prevent the auto-focus system on your camera from working correctly, but if it's a circular polarizer, it will work just fine. Screw it on and try it; you can't hurt anything.

Helen B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
As Sparky suggests. it is likely to be a linear polarizer if it is from the 70's. It will still work on digital - perhaps not perfectly - but the autofocus and/or exposure system may not work well, depending on which camera you have. You can tell by looking at your own reflection through a mirror, with the filter in front of your eye. Look through the filter 'backwards' - ie with the front of it next to your eye - and forwards. The reflection of a circular pola will look darker one way (backwards) than forwards. A linear pola will look the same both ways.

Why not just try using it on your camera?

Last edited:

Most reactions