Old problem new complaint.. W10 to Linux

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many folks have had the problem of W10 imposing their draconian BS onto your computers?
How many have dumped W10 for Linux and what's your experience?

I have come to find that each time I try to use my cameras on the puter, W10 runs interference and puts their stupid Photos Album manager thingy and blocks out the programs I want to use.

Please. do tell...

No, can't say I've had that issue. I can import RAW or converted DNG (I've an older version of Lightroom that doesn't recognise newer Canon RAW Files) straight into my software, edit and export with out and problems. In fact overall with Windows 10 I don't really suffer any drama at all.

May I bring up a possibility? Would it possible that a photo was opened with windows photo viewer and now photo viewer is the default program for photos. There a place in windows where one can set the default program for all file types. I apologize as I do not remember where it is but if you search windows 10 default picture app they will show you how to check and change the default program. When I click a .jpg windows opens the file in the default viewer. I right click and open with... and choose Light Room or Photoshop when I need the business end.

I have use Linux and still use Linux on a laptop. I am using Gnome, I enjoy unix. I like the control so I usually use the shell and type commands instead of using the user interface. Linux is awesome.

I use Slackware on my main PC. I built a photo editing PC with W10. I don't get W10 at all...

I have lived with DOS, almost OS/2, Windows (from 3.1), Unix (various), Linux (from kernel 2.x) , and MacOS (hmm, apple DOS)... each has its own strengths and weakness' ... I live with Windows due to specific apps ... I would go Linux if Abobe embraced it, though I do find MacOS a middle ground (though more hardware costly).

Still running win 7, as both software and hardware will not run on anything higher

I switched to Linux years ago and have never looked back!

I have lived with DOS, almost OS/2, Windows (from 3.1), Unix (various), Linux (from kernel 2.x) , and MacOS (hmm, apple DOS)... each has its own strengths and weakness' ... I live with Windows due to specific apps ... I would go Linux if Abobe embraced it, though I do find MacOS a middle ground (though more hardware costly).
I used OS/2 for years and then had to switch to Slackware, probably 95 or 96. Windows 2000 was the only Windows I ever liked. I still have a PC with OS/2 on it, actually, it's called Arca Noae.

I switched to Linux years ago and have never looked back!

Same here. There are plenty of Linux alternatives for most windows software, and the vast majority of them are free.

No problems dealing with Win10. I do run Linux as well and have come close in some cases to switching except for one big issue; color management. It can be daunting and eventually not possible to apply the color management methods you want using Linux (depends on what you want to do). Right now that would stop me from switching over.

Joe

Out of necessity, I have used a number of Windows versions from 3.1 to 10. I've also used VAX, AmigaOS, Mac OSX, and various flavors of Linux since it first became available in the 1990s. In my opinion, Windows (any version) is, by far, the worst OS ever foisted upon the computer using public.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Windows 10, I live with it at work, but at home my laptop still runs windows 7, and when my desktop died I replaced it with a Raspberry Pi 4 which is Linux based. Not a great deal of photo-editing software to run of the Pi, & printers are a pain to set up, but for everything else I do at home it's every bit as good as the PC.

FWIW the Windows 10 PC I had a home lasted the shortest of any PC I've had since the 286. Pcs running windows 3.0, windows 3.1, windows for workgroups, windows 95, windows 98, windows 2000, Windows NT & Windows 7, have all lasted longer & allowed me to decide on when they upgraded etc.

About six weeks ago I purchased a used laptop and it had Windows 10 on it. I was shocked at how clunky and non-intuitive and downright primitive this operating system is.

Last edited:
Windows was okay-ish, up until about windows 8 - then it all went pear shaped. 7 was the "best" version IMO, but it was not until I became a serious Linux user I came to realise exactly how **** the latest versions of windows were.

Well I can attest that from originally posting to now, life got in the way of going full bore into switching platforms.

But I am starting to lay the foundations to that.

The MS-POS systems are getting really old with thier forced and mandatory updates and intrusive software along with their holier than thou we-know-better than you attitude to functionality.
Most of it is designed around the prose that stupid american education thinking (common core ergo W. H. G. III) and the lunatic mentality that people are too stupid to bathe.

Frankly its old and depressing that the MS people think this way, but if you live your whole life on social media and believe various alphabet conspiracies, I guess that's a great platform to use.

JUST MY OPINION!!!!!

But the Raspberry Pi4 thing looks interesting but I have to consider photo editing capacity. I especially like the camera sensor they came out with. Applying a C Mount and whatever lens makes things even more interesting given its a blank platform. Any other Linux system is a possibility but Ill need to consider actual physical box also.

I am also intrigued by the sensors they have and the touchscreen systems. THAT piques my interest.

I just don't know any modern assembly language. (Olf DOS and Basic guy here.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back