Old San Juan. Testing out Tamron 17-50.

Fedaykin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hebercollphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8(non-VC). So I decided to take it to Old San Juan(San Juan=capitol of Puerto Rico, Old as in the old part of town :p ) to test it out. Ended up having a great time. It was also the first time I went out with the intention of keeping my camera on my neck and taking pictures. Slowly but surely getting rid of the "I must look like an idiot" feeling.

I have 18 pictures, I'll post a few of my favorites and post the rest if anyone wants. Some where thought out, most where quick shots(I was with my gf, didn't want to bore her). These where all edited slightly, mainly WB correction and some Curves. I sharpened most but only slightly after resizing. I compared the resized/sharpened jpegs to the RAW files and found a sharpening setting(simple sharpening, not unsharp mask) that reflected what the straight out of camera shot looked like(I have in-camera sharpening OFF), so these are a pretty good examples of how sharp/unsharp this lens is.

Anyway, here we go. C&C is welcome as always:

4797752357_fb48950f77_b_d.jpg

4797724843_77e780f801_b_d.jpg

3.The typical homeless man shot :p Left hima couple bucks under his sign(the main reason I liked this shot)
4797724847_24f55c1d17_b_d.jpg

4797724855_e7e81d3797_b_d.jpg

5.This one I sharpened a little more than the rest.
4797752319_1f239c6544_b_d.jpg

4797724875_e3ea8db00b_b_d.jpg

Thanks for looking!

1. I like the shot. It has a great DOF and no distractions to take away from the image.

2. Why is there a chair in the middle of the road? That question makes people look at the image longer and wonder the reason behind it.

3. Not bad, nothing amazing about the photo but it get's the sad message across!

4. I like the rustic feel.

5. Interesting

6. Nothing spectacular about the shot, but I like it none-the-less.

Some of the shots are a little pixelated, but that could be the image reduction software or something else at work. To me it seems like a good lens, captures colors well!

1. I like the shot. It has a great DOF and no distractions to take away from the image.

2. Why is there a chair in the middle of the road? That question makes people look at the image longer and wonder the reason behind it.

3. Not bad, nothing amazing about the photo but it get's the sad message across!

4. I like the rustic feel.

5. Interesting

6. Nothing spectacular about the shot, but I like it none-the-less.

Some of the shots are a little pixelated, but that could be the image reduction software or something else at work. To me it seems like a good lens, captures colors well!

Thanks! In reply:

1. There where some people on the benches to the right, but luckily not in the way.

2. Exaclty why I took the shot.

3. Yeah, I've seen the same shot a thousand times, but I wanted to capture it nonetheless.

4. Whole town is like this.

Frikkin pixelation... I though it was because I was saving a high resolution version first(for backup's sake) and then scaling that jpeg(minimum compression and max quality btw) to 800 on the long for the web; but I tried scaling the RAW straight to 800 and comparing it to the twice saved file but it was the same problem. I'm thinking it's the program(DigiKam), but maybe I'm missing something.

Shall I post more?

I'll post some more:

4797724863_95baef876b_b_d.jpg

8. I like how this lens captures color:
4797724883_75de1c594d_b_d.jpg

4797752355_3396714876_b_d.jpg

10. The ol' doorway shot:
4797780289_8986f76d65_b_d.jpg

11. Reminded me of Lion King:
4797780273_f027f4e4cd_b_d.jpg

12. And a quick one of my gf's eyes, pretty sharp wide open I'd say(I left this one unsharpened):
4797780329_68a5be8b5e_b_d.jpg

Is that a sign for WiFi in pic #1?! Sweet.

To be honest, most of them don't do much for me: they feel a bit snapshot-ish.

However....

5: great idea, too much sharpening.

6: nice! It's hard to get the perfect exposure on waves that shows both clarity and motion, and you did it here. great job. A lower angle might have been cool, though.

7: way to be there, haha. You can't plan photos like that. Maybe the subject could have been a bit less center-of-frame...? That said, I don't think it was badly composed.

12: she has pretty eyes! Might have done better had she been looking into the camera.

I just got Tamron's 28-75 f2.8 and have also been nothing but impressed! Not bad at all for the money.

Is that a sign for WiFi in pic #1?! Sweet.

To be honest, most of them don't do much for me: they feel a bit snapshot-ish.

However....

5: great idea, too much sharpening.

6: nice! It's hard to get the perfect exposure on waves that shows both clarity and motion, and you did it here. great job. A lower angle might have been cool, though.

7: way to be there, haha. You can't plan photos like that. Maybe the subject could have been a bit less center-of-frame...? That said, I don't think it was badly composed.

12: she has pretty eyes! Might have done better had she been looking into the camera.

I just got Tamron's 28-75 f2.8 and have also been nothing but impressed! Not bad at all for the money.

Haha yeah it's a Wifi sign, I was surprised they had Wifi there. I completely agree they are snapshotish, I didn't spend more than a couple of seconds on each of these as I didn't want to bore my gf(taking pictures wasn't the main reason we went there). I gotta go back on my own and try and get better shots.

5. I knew I went overboard, I appreciate the comment. I spent a few seconds looking at the structures until I decided on this angle. It was probably my most thought out picture of the set.

6. Thanks! I actually shot this one holding the camera over railing, couldn't get lower and needed the support for the slow shutter speed.

7. Yeah I wanted it more to the side too, focused on getting the shot. Maybe I should have cropped....

12. She was just before the shot, I liked this one better though. Funny thing is I took this picture to show her her makeup was messed up(eye shadow) and ended up liking the picture :p

I though of the 28-75 but ended up getting the 17-50 cuz I wanted the wide end. Found myself using around 20-30mm most of the day. One day I'd love a 24L...

Thanks a lot for looking and commenting! Here's the rest of them:

4797780299_7929ff4140_b_d.jpg

4797780313_3f0cd42dfc_b_d.jpg

4797780287_74fbbb4564_b_d.jpg

4797752351_2d4fbb7f9e_b_d.jpg

4797752341_d5bf1e3c61_b_d.jpg

4797752329_114a7132f5_b_d.jpg

I like #17, at the end of the paseo de la princesa. My wife and I went to San Juan for our honeymoon, but I had ended up coming down with swine flu while there, so when we toured Old San Juan, I was completely out of it. I really want to come back and have a proper honeymoon.

I also like #2, the chair is placed in the side street to 'save' their spot, but I like it a lot because of the two girls in the background, one of which is looking back at you like, "don't even think about moving that chair..." :lol:

I like all of your shots, they aren't amazing, but the fact that you were able to get those when you have a girlfriend along amazes me. :lmao:

Nice stuff, I think youll like that lens a lot. I notice it got a nice ability @2.8 and 17-20mm to blur out the background just like a 50-80mm, Its a great lens for the money. Just noisy. Oh yeah and youll want to zoom in/focus/zoom out lots of times for non moving subjects. Or zoom in/focus/zoom out and then re pan your shot all the while holding the focus button half down so its set.... Its a ninja trick.

Nice stuff, I think youll like that lens a lot. I notice it got a nice ability @2.8 and 17-20mm to blur out the background just like a 50-80mm, Its a great lens for the money. Just noisy. Oh yeah and youll want to zoom in/focus/zoom out lots of times for non moving subjects. Or zoom in/focus/zoom out and then re pan your shot all the while holding the focus button half down so its set.... Its a ninja trick.

Hahaha I was doing that just a couple hours ago at a wedding job( I assist my sister, a wedding a photographer), great trick. I do love this lens already yes. Thanks for looking!

Slowly but surely getting rid of the "I must look like an idiot" feeling.

Ahh... I know that feeling well... :lol:

You know... maybe I"m weird... but I actually like 18. :lol:

It's something I would probably throw up as my desktop wallpaper and leave up for months. :biggrin: :thumbup:

Jeje be my guest.

Okay internet friend, explain something to me.

When I used to play online poker, all the Spanish speaking people in the room would always type "jejejejeje" ... and after a while I realized that was supposed to be "hahahaha"... at least I gathered as much from the context of the conversation...

Now I have NEVER heard anyone in my family say anything that sounds even *remotely* close to "jeje" so... where in the HELL does that come from?! :lmao:

Yeah, in Spanish some people laugh a half hearted laugh in that manner, I guess.

Most reactions

Back