Old School Prevails

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Stumbled on this photo, in a box in the storage shed today. It's my Great Grandmother, Grandfather, and Great Grandfather. According to notes on the back it was taken in 1898. It's never been in a climate controlled environment, never had any special treatment, and yes it shows it's age some, but for 120 years old it's pretty darn good shape. Wonder how our digital files will compare at 120 years.
View attachment 154508

so long as something can read/access them in 120years, they will look the exact same.

so long as something can read/access them in 120years, they will look the exact same.

True, but this didn't require anything to access, and I was able to convert it to the conventional technology (digital) via scanning. Wonder how easy it will be to convert our digital files of today, today the current technology of the future?

Great Grand-mom doesn't look like someone you'd want opening the door if you were great Grand-dad coming home late and drunk! :lol:

Great Grand-mom doesn't look like someone you'd want opening the door if you were great Grand-dad coming home late and drunk! :lol:

The women on both my Maternal and Paternal side were not to be trifled with. LOL

Wonder how our digital files will compare at 120 years.

If we print them, pretty well i guess. Does the neg of this still exist? My point.

Does the neg of this still exist? My point.

I doubt it. This was done in a studio, (not a tintype), and mounted on paperboard, which I suspect had a lot to do with preservation. As a rule, it seems that professional prints seem to age well, while the consumer grade photos, have faded

Last edited:
I love looking at old photos Smoke. I bought a pretty old photo album at an antiques store many years ago with a lot of paperboard photos. Most women of that era showed the hardships their lives endured.

@Dean_Gretsch I unfortunately became the eldest of our family group when my last Aunt passed away in January of last year. Over the years I've accumulated boxes of photos, some of them have notes on the back like this one, some of them if I stare long enough I might have a fleeting memory of who they are, and some are simply old photos.

Here's a couple of the boy (Grandfather) in later years.
WilliamJ.jpg

Willamj 1.jpg

Thank you for those! He doesn't look old enough to be in the Army.

The back is noted Pvt Raber, Oct 1918, so that would have made him 21. He just missed WWI.

Most reactions

Back