Old woman in the old city

PhotoTish

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like your photo - it looks good on my screen as far as sharpness goes and what a great expression the old lady has. The only thing I might suggest is that you see how it looks if you cropped it to get rid of the man in the background. :thumbup:

The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
As opposed to th previous comment, I think the man in the background absolutely makes the shot. It demonstrates her size, her alone-ness and the viewer can get the feeling of isolation from it.

I might try toning down the background so it isn't so much lighter than her; my eye keeps going to it.

Nicely composed and rendered, I think.

OP
bobnr32

bobnr32

Reaction score
Website
bob8952.wixsite.com
Photos OK to edit
The man is an important element in this shot, hence the cropping. Sometimes in street shots there are varied backgrounds which can be a pain to fix and by doing so can remove it from 'street' togging ,imo. I tried in previous shots making the face the lightest point, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks you both for your comments.

MacHoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I just wonder what she's thinking.

PhotoTish

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The man is an important element in this shot, hence the cropping. Sometimes in street shots there are varied backgrounds which can be a pain to fix and by doing so can remove it from 'street' togging ,imo. I tried in previous shots making the face the lightest point, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks you both for your comments.

When I first looked at the photo I thought the lady was a strong enough image to stand alone as a portrait without the background but, having read the subsequent comments I have to agree that the man in the background does add to it and to remove him would remove the feeling of the lady's smallness and the "street" element. I take quite a lot of street photography and shall take these considerations into account next time I am about to crop my own images. :thumbup:

OP
bobnr32

bobnr32

Reaction score
Website
bob8952.wixsite.com
Photos OK to edit
Thanks Tish. Happy snapping- bit cold for too much street action at the moment though.

bottlecaps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Agree with Traveler. I like the picture. Background is a bit eye-stealy bright.

Jeremy Z

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Nice pic. Good dynamic range too. Shot on film or digital?

Most reactions