Old woman in the old city

I like your photo - it looks good on my screen as far as sharpness goes and what a great expression the old lady has. The only thing I might suggest is that you see how it looks if you cropped it to get rid of the man in the background. :thumbup:

As opposed to th previous comment, I think the man in the background absolutely makes the shot. It demonstrates her size, her alone-ness and the viewer can get the feeling of isolation from it.

I might try toning down the background so it isn't so much lighter than her; my eye keeps going to it.

Nicely composed and rendered, I think.

The man is an important element in this shot, hence the cropping. Sometimes in street shots there are varied backgrounds which can be a pain to fix and by doing so can remove it from 'street' togging ,imo. I tried in previous shots making the face the lightest point, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks you both for your comments.

I just wonder what she's thinking.

The man is an important element in this shot, hence the cropping. Sometimes in street shots there are varied backgrounds which can be a pain to fix and by doing so can remove it from 'street' togging ,imo. I tried in previous shots making the face the lightest point, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks you both for your comments.

When I first looked at the photo I thought the lady was a strong enough image to stand alone as a portrait without the background but, having read the subsequent comments I have to agree that the man in the background does add to it and to remove him would remove the feeling of the lady's smallness and the "street" element. I take quite a lot of street photography and shall take these considerations into account next time I am about to crop my own images. :thumbup:

Agree with Traveler. I like the picture. Background is a bit eye-stealy bright.

Nice pic. Good dynamic range too. Shot on film or digital?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back