Olympus 30mm f/3.5 Macro Review

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There’s not much talk on here regarding mirrorless, and specifically micro four thirds, cameras. Thus, I’d like to give an abbreviated review of the Olympus 30mm f/3.5 macro lens. I’ve owned this lens for about 2 months.

I switched from a Canon Rebel XSi to an Olympus OMD EM-1 Mark I in November 2016. This is one of the few lenses I have so far with my current setup. (I still have the XSi, but it hasn't seen much action.)

Given the lens' relative low cost, I had debated it for a while. Every time I would add it to my shopping cart online, I’d get hesitant and remove it. I have always been interested in macro shots, and I love looking at macro shots, but taking macro shots never really appealed to me, oddly.

When the price dropped due to a sale, I figured I’d give it a go.

Build/Feel

Despite the plastic feel, it has a good build quality that feels nice in the hands. It’s very light, and the small size makes it pocketable. The manual focus ring is both large and smooth—perfect for dialing in focus.

Initial Reaction

When I first purchased the lens, I felt very lukewarm with it. I almost regretted the lens, and debating returning it. I really wanted to like it, but I didn’t. I couldn’t figure out if it was macro photography in general, or if it was the lens. I’m more of a street photographer, so macro was out of my element and experience. I started to recognize that this lens was specialized and won’t be suitable for many situations.

I wasn’t used to having to be really close to the subject, given the 30mm focal length. I’m assuming those that don’t want to get within inches of insects would rather purchase Olympus’ 60mm macro lens instead. While the 60mm is a faster lens, it also comes at a higher cost.

Initial Test Shots

As a photographer, one of the first things I look at is image quality of the photos. The images are sharp. I am very happy with the image quality.

I quickly found that a normal part of macro photography is to need to use some sort of additional lighting. While I could have brought out my transmitters with a flash, or purchased a ring flash or twin light flash for more money, I found that having a flash in the hot shoe with a light modifier/diffuser works very well (I have a Gary Fong light diffuser, but a plastic food container with lid would work just as well).

In good light, the lens focuses very well and fast. One thing I’ve found is that in low contrast, low light, and/or backlit situations, the lens does not want to focus and hunts. It will run through the focus range a few times, and then stop. When I first popped the lens on the camera, I did what I normally do with a new lens. I turn to my wife, and take a picture. She was backlit, and it hunted and hunted, so I recomposed a bit, then it focused. Ok. Then, after taking a picture of my wife, the second thing I usually do is take a picture of my dog. Dog sitting in the middle of the floor, later in the day, not much ambient light. It again, hunted, hunted, and hunted, didn't focus. I tried it again, but my dog got annoyed and walked off before I could snap a shot.

If you turn off your focus assist beam (I usually have mind turned off), be ready for focus hunting if you have the situations mentioned previously. If you turn your focus assist beam on, it’ll be somewhat slow to focus, but it should find focus. At least mine does.

Overview

After owning the lens for 2 months, I’ve decided that this lens is definitely a keeper. While it may not always make it to my bag, and it may not get taken on vacation with me, it’s a great lens to have in my arsenal.

It is a specialized lens, but the shorter focal length allows the option of having some of the background in the shot. This provides a different, and sometimes unique, perspective of the subject of the photo.

I’m very happy with the lens.

Sample Shots

Hibiscus Drops
by Wade, on Flickr

Veins of Life
by Wade, on Flickr

She loves me
by Wade, on Flickr

Bees Knees
by Wade, on Flickr

Flowers-17
by Wade, on Flickr