Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Pulled the trigger on this as it was only $199 in store.

SO light - wow. Yes, it's made of plastic, but even so. Also, no focus markers, but who looks at those anyway? :p

I'm looking forward to taking some shots this evening with it and letting you know my thoughts. I've heard it's a slowpoke at AF but that's OK.
I'm gonna put it in the same type of box as the 55-300 from Nikon! Which ain't that bad for a quick zoom here n there.

I was weighing up this vs the 75-300mm, but this won out due to cost.
I'm saving my main pennies for the 75mm 1.8!! so for 200 bucks, I can't go wrong.

I have one of those and I don't consider it "slow" on AF. It's actually one heckuva neat lens considering all factors. Compact, light weight, decently sharp performer; one guy describes it as "insanely sharp".

On AF speed; bear in mind most zooms tend to have some degree of AF problems at the longer ends of the focal length range. It has to do with some degree of lack of contrast in much magnified areas, causes the lens to "hunt" some for focus. The "cure" is MF+FOCUS ASSIST, takes a bit of practice to get used to.

I have both the Oly 40-150 and the Lumix 45-250mm, like and use them both.

I bought a like new copy on ebay for $120. just got it today, haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But I agree, incredibly light and small. Moving from a NEX system it is about half the size of a Sony 55-210 for E-mount.

Test shots.

There were no birds in the air, so this had to do. USB bird, baby!!!

That looks pretty sharp to me. on the first one the bokeh seems a little distracting to me, but maybe that is because there are some real bright spots. not sure. I can't wait to try mine out. I am always disappointed in kit zooms. I had the Canon 55-250 which was ok, but not great, and I had the Sony 55-210 for NEX, which was a big shiny stinking silver turd with a lens hood. So far the Olympus package has surprised me and that lens of yours looks surprisingly good for such a cheap lens.

I've just agreed to sell my Nikon 105mm Micro lens - so now I can get the Oly 75mm 1.8! wooo!!!

I think I'm a little excited!

I've just agreed to sell my Nikon 105mm Micro lens - so now I can get the Oly 75mm 1.8! wooo!!!

I think I'm a little excited!

Awesome! New lens are so exciting! How is that 105km Nikon though? It's on my future wishlist!

It's awesome Jazzie - I had no problems with it - I just didn't use it as much as I should have.
It's nicer than the 40 and the 60, as you don't need to be so close, and yet you get the same macro ability!

It's definitely one I'd get pre-owned if I was to get it again - as, I think most people probably feel about macro lenses.

It's awesome Jazzie - I had no problems with it - I just didn't use it as much as I should have. It's nicer than the 40 and the 60, as you don't need to be so close, and yet you get the same macro ability! It's definitely one I'd get pre-owned if I was to get it again - as, I think most people probably feel about macro lenses.

Thanks for the feedback! Gotta recover from my camera purchase, and then I'll have to figure out which lens tops my list next!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back