Olympus E-M1X is more than a big body

Seriously the most exciting specs from a camera in the last 5 years and you'll like: more milk toast please.

Last edited:
I wanted to find one article or one video that would put the EM-1X into perspective, but I have not found that.

Instead, I am posting 3 video links. I would suggest that if you want a quick and simple appreciation of the strengths of the camera, and how well it does, and with some appreciation of its shortcomings, and you are mainly oriented to still pictures, then the first video (DPReview) is enough. But if you want to get a much more thorough idea of where it is in relation today's cameras, then you need to also see the second (DPReview coverage of video capabilities) and the third (Northrup) video.

The Northrup video, near the end, puts it into price perspective comparing it in particular to Sony's, with some mention of Canon, Fuji and Nikon.

"DPReview TV: Olympus OM-D E-M1X Review", posted by "DPReview", Jan 23, 2019,
""

"DPReview TV: Olympus E-M1X Video Features Review", posted by "DPReview", Feb 1, 2019,
""

"Olympus E-M1X TORTURE Test & Review (vs Sony a7R III, a9, Fuji X-T3, Canon 1DX, Nikon D5)", posted by "Tony & Chelsea Northrup", Jan 23, 2019,
""

I liked Fro's video on it, which addressed how he did NOT like the DOF using a long f/4 lens.

16:30:

I would like to try this camera. I shoot wildlife and I see that this camera has a lot of potential in that field. . . .

You were interested in wildlife photography with the E-M1x and I found the "Imaging-Resource.com" review and sample images shows that it can perform very well in that field. As with most cameras the specifications and listed features don't necessarily tell the whole story. It is how you put them to use, and sometimes, how you combine them.

"Olympus E-M1X Review" by William Brawley, Mike Tomkins and Dave Pardue, update
posted 2019-02-01 by Imaging-Resource.com

Olympus E-M1X Review

Well, these days, you can't be taken seriously as a camera reviewer if you like M43 - which is a bit unfortunate.
Truth is, for what most people shoot, M43 is exceptional - actually, more than they need.

But...
That price point is just a bit hard to justify. And to be honest, Olympus is really a bit greedy.

I own a Pen-F. I bought it on sale a couple years ago. Body plus 25 1.8 and 45 1.8 for $1399.00. Worked out to $800 for the body.
That made sense to me so I scooped it up. Love the camera. Olympus lenses are very good. Let's be clear though, I did not buy this to shoot BIF or sports ... If you did, you are an idiot. Sorry.

I've added the 17 1.8, 75 1.8, and 12-40 2.8 lenses since then. All very good (IMHO)

For what I bought it for - the Pen-F is awesome. I use it more that my D700, D500, and Ricoh GR. Just picked up the Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro. Sharpest lens I own - ouch. Extremely good lens. Out-performs the Sigma 150mm and the Tokina 100mm macros (I own both).

But, no lens hoods ...

Ever..

For almost none of their lenses. And when they do include it, it falls apart. I have the 12-40mm 2.8 pro. Came with a hood. Thing fell apart in less that 3 months. Replaced it with a Vello hood. Thing is so much better, for less $$$

As much as I like Olympus, I feel like they make me suffer for that support. So, as good as the E-M1X might be, I will not be buying. And not because the camera is bad, but because I feel like Olympus sh1ts on their customers.

Hate to see companies I support shooting themselves in the foot, but not much you can do but shop elsewhere.

Fro is pretty hard on the E-M1X ) which some call the "e- mix"..LOL..
It has some great tech in it, yes, but it remains to be seen who will adopt it.

1) Who said a m4/3 mirrorless had to fit in a small box?
2) This AF isn't tuned for motor sports. It has some motorsports tuned presets. More will be coming. Anyone questioning the AF without actually trying it is just another brand/sensor size fanboy....period.
3) In order for me with Canon to do HALF of what this camera can do I'd pay more than 2x the price.
4) Low light! Low light! Not all of us are vampires and can only shoot at night. I personally could give 2 shits about low light performance.
5) Having trouble with shallow depth of field without having full frame? You need to learn more.

Holy crap people love to complain about gear they NEVER intend to own. Get over it. Not every dam camera will fit in your little box of what a camera should be.
Thank you. This is the best response.

Ever since the camera was announced, I've followed responses on this forum and others. I don't understand the response it has gotten, and why people hate it on it so much when they don't own M43 hardware or intend to own the E-M1X.

Especially, your point 5. I own M43 and have been able to get sufficient DOF. I've found that many people who have never owned M43 equipment act like getting any kind of shallow DOF or bokeh is impossible on M43 and that is just patently false.

But, no lens hoods ...

Ever..

For almost none of their lenses. And when they do include it, it falls apart. I have the 12-40mm 2.8 pro. Came with a hood. Thing fell apart in less that 3 months. Replaced it with a Vello hood. Thing is so much better, for less $$$
I've heard this over and over, but I have yet to have it experienced to me. I've "thrown" my 12-40 2.8 pro around, and I've never had an issue with the lens hood. Nor have I experienced issues with any of the other lens hoods for the other 5 lenses I own.

And now that I've said this, I'll probably go home to find the lens hood falling apart! :p

I have yet to try the 60 macro, but I have the 30 mm. The 30 mm is probably the sharpest lens I've owned, so hearing that about the 60 makes me want to invest in this lens sooner rather than later...

I'm also very sad to hear the rumors that the Pen-F has been discontinued. I was hoping they'd come out with a mark ii, but appears they will not.

Well I for one am seriously considering this camera. I need a second camera body and instead of getting another EM1 I think I will be getting the EM1X. It is more expensive than I like but my Olympus gear has been great for me for my wildlife.
And I am also looking forward to using the handheld hi-res for my landscape and macro.

Wade, you still don't have the 60mm! It's a must buy!

Wade, you still don't have the 60mm! It's a must buy!
LOL! I know! I've heard so so so many good things about it, and for some reason, I've just put it off. I haven't purchased anything photography related in a while now, so I think I could probably get away with asking the wife if she'd be ok with it. :) Especially with spring upon us and all the flowers and bugs coming out..

Brent,

Looking at the lenses you have listed, and which Olympus a made, the "E-MIX" looks like a worthwhile acquisition for birding, especially but also for landscapes and close-ups too. The pixel-shift option looks intriguing for landscape work, and the ability to use/two batteries,plus all the high-tech features, looks good. Technology like 1/32,000 second shutter opens certain formerly flash-only areas to those who own a digital-shutter camera. I suspect the built-in electronic ND filtration + 1/32,000 digital shutter could be used together in quite a few bright-light situations...

Derrel, Im even more interested in the af. Brings it to D500 territory.

And I just bought it this morning. Already tested it out and I'm really liking it. It's bigger then I would like BUT it feels more balanced in my hand with my big lenses on it. So worth the bigger size for me.

Fantastic post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Kudos!

Fantastic post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Kudos!

What information are you looking for?

Most reactions

Back