What's new

olympus pen ep2 worth $1099?

jake337

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
4,274
Reaction score
1,245
Location
minnesota
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up an EP2 about a week ago. And now I'm having second thoughts. I do love the camera and the shots I've taken with it so far. I'm loving the size of the body in comparison with SLR's, but is it worth the loss of quality? I'm thinkin of returnin it and going with a DSLR instead, so with that in mind what DSLR would be recommended at that price? ($1099)

Thanks
Jake
P.s. I'll post some pics I've taken so far sometime today
 
"Worth" is difficult to quantify and so is "loss of quality".

For someone who requires a small P&S like sized camera who has no choice but to use P&S in years past, the quality is actually a step up.. a big step up. This is especially true with those that don't place such a high importance on high ISO performance.

If you are thinking of returning it then it is pretty safe to assume the camera isn't meeting your expectations. I say return it and get a DSLR.

If you are unable to return it for any reason, PM me... I might be interested.





btw... As far as I know, just two users here have shot extensively with m4/3rd cameras;Sw1tch and I. So you might not get much of a response.

[EDIT]

Correction.. three.. including Ron Evers.
 
Last edited:
well it's more than meeting my expectations in comparison to any p&s i've used(never owned) and this is my first jump into photography so i'm very new to the game. I'm really just worried that as I get into photography more deeply, the camera will begin to not meet my expectations.

heres a few

P5300969.jpg


P5280744.jpg


P5250271.jpg


P5290827.jpg
 
From my talks with retailers concerning the m 4/3rds, typically consumers of such cameras are falling into two categories:

1) P&S shooters looking for a bridge into more advanced options and (imaging) without the expense, hassle, and size of DSLRs.
2) DSLR advanced users looking for something smaller more compact to use in conjunction not in replacement. (There is the group I am in).

(note; this may change because it is a new system and new technology with the future is unknown)

Your investment is more than just a camera+lens, it is a system. Once you start building on a system, it is expensive to switch. If this is your concern, I say switch to a DSLR system with a pre-established selection of quality glass to support.
 
thank you very much for the quick and informative responses. i will be heading to national camera exchange on monday to talk more and make a final decision. i may even fall into the second catagory some some day just do it backwards. start off with this olympus micro 4/3's and add a SLR in the future when i'm more advanced. or would this be a bad idea?
 
only if you have $$$ to burn......

I think it would be best to have your investments in one system first then figure out what you need beyond the system later.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom