OMG! Dropped my Camera already!!

Had the salesperson drop my lens. Was getting the camera cleaned and when he removed the lens it went strait to the floor. He smiled and said S*&% happens and handed me a new one. (AF quit working)

i dropped my alpha (a100) and it fell apart, but then it re-grew the part that fell off and outfitted itself with a vertical grip... its kinda magic like that.

but seriously, your camera should be fine, the xti doesnt have a huge amount of moving parts (focus motors are in the lenses, no sensor stabilization) so theres a little less to break than some cameras. plus they're super light so there probably wasnt a lot of force on the things in it when it hit.

I dropped my d80, actually it flipped out of my back pack while i was running and jumping and landed hard, busted up the lens real good, but the camera itself has been fine for 2 months now since I dropped it.

Cameras are sturdier now than they were back in the day
With all due respect, anybody who believes that has never owned a 1962 model Nikon F.

And they obviously never owned an Olympus OM1 or OM 2N.

/ANY/ digital today will break about 100 drops before either of those two bodies will.

i think what sideburns MEANT, was that they are made better than they were in the era of mostly plastic SLRs, such as many 35mm minolta maxxums (such as the QTSi, HTSi, and all those ) i know my curent camera (sony a100) is sturdier than my HTSi wich is completely plastic except for small metal parts inside it.

i dropped my alpha (a100) and it fell apart, but then it re-grew the part that fell off and outfitted itself with a vertical grip... its kinda magic like that.

but seriously, your camera should be fine, the xti doesnt have a huge amount of moving parts (focus motors are in the lenses, no sensor stabilization) so theres a little less to break than some cameras. plus they're super light so there probably wasnt a lot of force on the things in it when it hit.

Weight does not affect the rate of a falling object. Two objects shaped the same will fall the same rate. Now, if wind is a factor, then sure the lighter object may be blown around a bit...

Anyways...not the point of the convo lol.

Cameras are tough now a days...the plastic they're made of is not likely to crack as easily as some cameras of back in the day. Also, compared to some metal bodies back in the way, they won't dent either.
I know there was some beefy cameras, but everyone can admit...you're probably not worried about cracking your camera body...

i think what sideburns MEANT, was that they are made better than they were in the era of mostly plastic SLRs, such as many 35mm minolta maxxums (such as the QTSi, HTSi, and all those ) i know my curent camera (sony a100) is sturdier than my HTSi wich is completely plastic except for small metal parts inside it.

Pretty much...

I mean, lookit a camera today.
Magnesium frame
super sturdy plastic case

The only part you're gonna break is the LCD screen, the mirror, and the lens...everything else is pretty sturdy even if you drop it from hand height.

you're right about weight not affecting the RATE of falling, but it DOES effect how much force it hits the ground with, (I.E. the force transmitted to the camera)
drop a ping-pong ball and a car off a 10 story building, and see what suffers more damage. thats why i could drop an ant and not hurt it

you're right about weight not affecting the RATE of falling, but it DOES effect how much force it hits the ground with, (I.E. the force transmitted to the camera)
drop a ping-pong ball and a car off a 10 story building, and see what suffers more damage. thats why i could drop an ant and not hurt it

Right...makes sense. Momentum and all...
Should have thought of that. Thanks.

haha, yeah, i'm an engineering major... i dont WANT to know all that, but i sort of had no choice... goes with the territory i guess...

Cameras are like kids and motorcycles: there not really yours until you drop them the first time...

I feel more relief. camera accidently dropped i took some pictures seems all warking fine and check all compartments but still not sure if i should check on something else. I removed and re installed the lense. It landed on the back side of the body from the desk. I hope it is good. took few photos and shutter works. What else should i consider?
Thanks.

This reminds me of the time I had just bought a brand new Pentax ZX-M. A couple days after I bought it I dropped it onto a parking lot pavement. It bounced around some, put a little dent in the top, but always worked fine.

...the plastic they're made of is not likely to crack as easily as some cameras of back in the day.

I'd be careful of making gerenalizations. Particularly when you make two cracks about "back in the day". Back in the day technology may not have been as advanced as it is today, but products were well engineered, well built and craftsmen took pride in their work. Sabbath's comment "Oh crap, my floor" is well founded.

I'm from "back in the day" and I am as tough a sumbitch as you'd ever want to meet. More so now than "back in the day", albeit with several dents and scars. I doubt I stand alone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back