On a $60 (university student) budget, what is the best flash I can buy for a Nikon camera?

tess_thereb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's bout time that I invest in my first flash butttt, I don't know where to look. I've read a few vague articles but they mostly highlight $100+ flashes. I don't know much about flash photography but I'm learning. I need to be able to grow with whatever flash I buy at least for 3-5 years so it has to be durable. The camera I'm using is a Nikon D3200 and I'd rather a wireless flash.

I'd look at the Yongnuo flashes. Had mine for several years now and they are still going strong. Whether you go TTL or manual is up to you. TTL is better for event photography of anywhere that you are constantly changing the distance to your subject. The camera controls what it thinks is the correct flash power output. Manual flashes tend to be a bit cheaper and sometimes offer slightly more control over the power output. What you opt for is whatever is going to work the best for you, although I think your budget is going to be the deciding factor. I know you want wireless flashes but, without a trigger on the top of the camera, you'd have to use the flash as a slave if off camera. I can't remember if the D3200 uses the Nikon CLS system either, which could present exposure issues.

Personally, I really like the YN560 III, as they have built in radio triggers. Used in conjunction with the TX controller unit, they are very effective and easy to adjust from the top of the camera. If you could somehow manage another $100, you could get two YN560 III and a controller unit for $160. They are manual flashes, so it's easy to screw up your exposure until you dial in the right power you require, but if you are doing posed portraits or still life, this isn't a big whoop. After a while you'll know that at a fixed distance, you normally use "x" power on the flash, so you can ball-park it, then fine tune.

The nice thing about flash photography is that you can never have enough flashes. If that's your thing.

As stated above, Yongnuo is the way to go in the cheaper price range.

I never really got into flash photography. My Nikon SB-700 has mostly collected dust. What you can do with flashes though (especially for portraiture of any sort) is amazing.

I'd look at the Yongnuo flashes. Had mine for several years now and they are still going strong. Whether you go TTL or manual is up to you. TTL is better for event photography of anywhere that you are constantly changing the distance to your subject. The camera controls what it thinks is the correct flash power output. Manual flashes tend to be a bit cheaper and sometimes offer slightly more control over the power output. What you opt for is whatever is going to work the best for you, although I think your budget is going to be the deciding factor. I know you want wireless flashes but, without a trigger on the top of the camera, you'd have to use the flash as a slave if off camera. I can't remember if the D3200 uses the Nikon CLS system either, which could present exposure issues.

Personally, I really like the YN560 III, as they have built in radio triggers. Used in conjunction with the TX controller unit, they are very effective and easy to adjust from the top of the camera. If you could somehow manage another $100, you could get two YN560 III and a controller unit for $160. They are manual flashes, so it's easy to screw up your exposure until you dial in the right power you require, but if you are doing posed portraits or still life, this isn't a big whoop. After a while you'll know that at a fixed distance, you normally use "x" power on the flash, so you can ball-park it, then fine tune.

Thanks for the very detailed response. I am indeed looking to shoot at events held at my university which is the main reason why I FINALLY plan to invest in a good flash. Hahaa. Another poster had suggested a model from Neewer. It looks interesting and seems practical for my situation. What do you think of the Neewer models? I noticed the Yongnuo you mentioned is fully manual. Would you say it's practical for shooting at events? The D3200 does use the CLS system. I'll have to read up on flash photography and exposure control more.

The nice thing about flash photography is that you can never have enough flashes. If that's your thing.

As stated above, Yongnuo is the way to go in the cheaper price range.

I never really got into flash photography. My Nikon SB-700 has mostly collected dust. What you can do with flashes though (especially for portraiture of any sort) is amazing.

Thanks! You're absolutely right, I shot with a flash at an event for the first time a couple nights back and I swear I think I've been missing out a lot in my year of photographing. I'm amazed at all the potential I can unlock by using a flash.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've not used the Neewer ones, so can't speak to their build quality or electronic longevity. They tend to be cheaper than the Yongnuo, which are already excellent bang for the buck, so I would be a bit hesitant. I can absolutely vouch for Yongnuo though. Fantastic flashes for the money. For event photography I would definitely recommend you stick to TTL flashes. Otherwise your exposures are likely to go way off. Yongnuo do TTL flashes too. 4 of them from what I can tell. I'd look at the YN565 EX, YN568EX and YN586EX for their comparative differences. My guess is that the higher model numbers have better guide numbers (pump out more juice) but there may be other features too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back