On-the-Spot Pricing Requests

Reaction score
Website
crimsonfoxphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How does everyone here handle questions about pricing when you're out in public or on a gig? My roommate is having a birthday party in the park for her son on Saturday. I will be taking photos and just know that parents will be asking if they can get a copy of the photos and, more generally, how much my sitting fee (and other prices) is. I'm cautious as to what my answer should be on these.

One thought I've had, concerning attendees of event photoshoots such as this getting copies, is to hand over prints (or heavily watermarked digital copies) if and only if they come in for a consultation and/or book a session. As for what my sitting fee is, if I give out my price right then and there, then they'll leave the party with just the number in their head and not so much what I could do to meet their individual needs. Multiple parents will be there so I would hate to steer away one couple with information that's directed towards another or is too general.

So, I know all of this, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to say. One thought is to simply be upfront and tell them that it would be best that we sat down one-on-one, but I don't want to sound like I'm being dodgy or trying to entrap anyone. And I don't want to make it seem as though I am open to significantly negotiating price, because I'm not...not significantly. Any thoughts?

Can you post the photos on your website and do you have that information on your web site? If so, just give them a card and tell them to visit your web site. you could even offer the images from the party for free download or something like that but the benefit is that they will at on your web site where they can see your portfolio shots and also see your portrait packages etc.

Can you post the photos on your website and do you have that information on your web site? If so, just give them a card and tell them to visit your web site. you could even offer the images from the party for free download or something like that but the benefit is that they will at on your web site where they can see your portfolio shots and also see your portrait packages etc.

Good idea, but simply handing out my business card hasn't worked well for me. I definitely get a spike in hits to the site whenever I do an event, hand out cards, and post pics (which shows that I am building at least some intrigue)..but the phone calls usually don't follow. When people go to take a look at the pics, I can almost guarantee that they copy them and move on. Either something with my site isn't effectively translating with people, or they aren't taking the time to care beyond the images I give them access to. There's a chance that my portfolio is too variegated for people to pull people in, but perhaps I need to work on my in-the-field, pre-consultation pitch (which is pretty much the crux of my original question).

Any criticism of my website would be great!

Your web site looks pretty good. If anything I'd consider more prominent menu so that it's easier to navigate (not that it's hard now but the menu doens't stand out).
I really like the function of the galleries, that is pretty cool.

One option may be to set it up so that people must sign in to access the gallery they want to see. It need not be all their info but a name and e-mail address might be enough. Maybe you could set it up so that you e-mail the password back to them, thus confirming their e-mail. You might then be able to build up a database of e-mail addresses of people who have shown some interest in your photography. I don't suggest spamming them but the occasional E-mail or newsletter type thing might drum up some business.

There are some who might be protective of their info and not bother, or even be angry...but hey, this is business...and getting contact info for potential clients is a big step in the right direction.

This is all off the top of my head...so take it for what it's worth. :D

"I don't like to discuss these things while I'm working for someone else, though I'd be happy to discuss this by phone or in person at a later date."

You should also have it set up so people can order prints directly from your site, and any photo that is potentially sellable should have a big, fat watermark.

How does everyone here handle questions about pricing when you're out in public or on a gig? My roommate is having a birthday party in the park for her son on Saturday. I will be taking photos and just know that parents will be asking if they can get a copy of the photos and, more generally, how much my sitting fee (and other prices) is. I'm cautious as to what my answer should be on these.

One thought I've had, concerning attendees of event photoshoots such as this getting copies, is to hand over prints (or heavily watermarked digital copies) if and only if they come in for a consultation and/or book a session. As for what my sitting fee is, if I give out my price right then and there, then they'll leave the party with just the number in their head and not so much what I could do to meet their individual needs. Multiple parents will be there so I would hate to steer away one couple with information that's directed towards another or is too general.

So, I know all of this, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to say. One thought is to simply be upfront and tell them that it would be best that we sat down one-on-one, but I don't want to sound like I'm being dodgy or trying to entrap anyone. And I don't want to make it seem as though I am open to significantly negotiating price, because I'm not...not significantly. Any thoughts?

The simple answer is that every project is different in terms of requirements, location, time, number of photos, editing, and rights wanted. As a result all projects are individually priced at a first meeting.
You may or may not want to give them a ballpark range related to the general info. they give you.

skieur

I was going to say the same thing as Big Mike, then I read your reply. Then I read Big Mike's reply to your reply. I agree that if people are visiting the website as a result of these events but then not doing anything extra, try to collect a name and e-mail address. You don't even have to go the whole password route and e-mail right away, but you could set up something such that, say, 24 hrs after they visit your site, you send them an e-mail customized to the event with an invitation for services. Something like:

"Thank you for visiting my photography website and viewing photograph's of [so-and-so's birthday]. I hope you enjoyed them. If you are interested, I offer personalized photography services, such as [insert ~3 items, such as portraits or events or weddings]. Please visit my website for more information, or reply to this e-mail with any questions you may have.

"Thank you, [your name].

"P.S. You are receiving this e-mail because you viewed [so-and-so's event]. This is the only e-mail in regards to this event that I will send out, since I hate spam as much as the next person."

Something along those lines. Especially the last paragraph, effectively stating that you're trying to see if they're interested in anything and to keep you in mind, but you're not going to bother them repeatedly with unsolicited e-mails.

How does everyone here handle questions about pricing when you're out in public or on a gig?

In public? I always act a bit embarrassed and apologize explaining, "I'm useless out of the office. Let me call you."

On a gig? Well.... "I'm working just now. Let's talk a bit later."

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back