One for C&C (Light Painting Inside)

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Figured I'd give light painting another shot. This is the second time attempting such, but I've collected some different types of light sources since my first time. This is the only one that I was REALLY satisfied with, hope you enjoy. C&C is welcome. (I know the background is a bit cluttered, I might try framing it better next time.)

Only other comment I have on the photo that I would change is the jagged edge of the light source in the middle of the frame. I was hoping for more of a fluid motion like each of the sides...

4617416307_d4ee0ac2d0_o.jpg

Are you going for surreal? Looks it to me, I think it is a good start.

Grab some poster board or some random fabric from a shop and hang that up to help you out a bit. That background is pretty rough to look past :|

The highlights and glares in the pedestals are a bit distracting to me, mainly because they are all over the place. I'd suggest maybe using 2 images, one where you just light those separately and one where you light the entire room. Then go back and mask in the nicer looking ones.

I really like the colors in your light, and that is an interesting shape. What did you use for that?

Recently I've been buying every gimmicky LED light I can find. I have a bunch of tiny sticks that have different rainbow effects on them but none that large :eek:

shmne, thanks for the input. It started out as playing around as light paint and I failed to even think about a background material. For the pedestals, are you referring to the crystal candle holders or the black stands in the center? The black stands' highlights come from the lighting of the crystals from underneath, but I like your idea about taking two separate shots.

The multi-colored light is an LED stick, which was caught in a Mardi Gras parade. It sort of resembles a female 'toy' lol, but it has Green, Blue, and Red LEDs which can be set in multiple patterns. There is a ALL color flash (quick), ALL color fade (slow--the one I used in this particular shot, while just walking slowly by), and then each separate color fade in/out.

Oooo I need to go to Mardi Gras it seems :eek: lol.

I meant the black stands in the center, sorry I should have been more specific. I kind of figured this was a bit impromptu, for some reason even with me light painting is always this fun thing to play with and I never really think it through beyond "Hey I bet this will be fun!!"

So it is the crystal that is to blame here :| I see. Well then, we both know what to do. Take it out back, I'll bring my 12 gauge. Seriously though, I couldn't really tell what was giving that off. Makes sense to me now that you stated it xD

Just to tell how the shot was done, since shmne had some confusion, I guess others might want to know how the lighting was set up also.

Dark room, mini led flashlight flashed for 1 second under each candlestick holder, mini led flashlight flashed for 1-2 seconds above each of the green moss balls, multi colored led stick held (as much as possible) straight and walked by slowly behind the scene.

Man that is really cool looking-- has a very unreal almost CG look to it. I'd like to see it without the light stick across the back like that-- it might actually make it feel even more odd (in a good way).

If I have some time tonight, I might try it. I actually tried it without the light stick, but I didn't leave the shutter open long enough and it caught my hand in frame during the above lighting lol.

Most reactions

Back