TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
soundinsights.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Scans078.jpg

I like civil war battlefields.

Only suggestion I have is to try and not blow out the sky. It would be more interesting with a nice blue sky and some clouds.

That's a great picture, and the somber feel is fitting.

The sky is not blown out and this is a gratuitous general comment on this board.

All skies w/o blue and clouds are not blown out....it was a cloudy day.

A bright blue sky would ruin the nice feeling the photo has. Well done.

The sky is not blown out and this is a gratuitous general comment on this board.
The sky is actually blown out. Can you see any detail in it? Or is it just a big, homogeneous undefined white thing? ranmyaku's was NOT a "gratuituous general comment"; your own comment, on the other hand, was. If you're wondering why you rarely get replies on your threads, this is the main reason.

Back to the photo, I find it interesting and really love the tones the author achieved on the cannon.

Perhaps it has escaped your notice that there is no detail in a cloudy sky......
Check your inbox for an example of detail on a cloudy sky --it took me 15 seconds to find it. If you wish to insist on your point, let's take it to PMs.

Nicely composed, I like it. Much nicer view I'm sure than those terrible few days in Sept of 62.

Mac,

Perhaps it has escaped your notice that there is no detail in a cloudy sky......

Try typing overcast in a flickr search and look through some pics. I'm not really sure what you are talking about. There most certainly is detail in a cloudy sky. That is the most ridiculous comment I have ever heard.

I appreciate all the nice comments about the photo. The sky is somewhat blown out, but the day was overcast with light rain and I was shooting handheld without any filters. In my opinion, the greyness of the day comes across in the photo and, as stsinner indicated, adds a mood to the photo that is fitting for a battlefield shot. I could have probably shot this in a way to bring out some detail in the clouds, but decided instead to focus on what was most important in the shot.

I disagree with the comment that it would be "nicer" with "a nice blue sky and some clouds". The blue sky and clouds just weren't there that day, so your C&C is not helpful at all. That remark came off as somewhat condescending.

Last edited:
Which is my point precisely....there is not always detail a a cloudy sky and it patronizing generally to comment that the sky is blown out. Not to mention that blown out is purely a personal and not a technical response with some way to measure it.

Time is better spent looking at the subject of the photograph which is very nice. I am willing to accept the judgment of the photographer as to what is the subject of the photograph......the cloudy sky is not the subject of the photograph.

Invisible....check your inbox for a cloudy sky without detail. These are equally easy to find

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back