One lens for traveling - Nikon 35mm 1.8G VS Sigma 17-50 2.8

StandingBear1983

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everybody,

I'm going traveling soon and i need your advice...currently i don't have the sigma 17-50 and i'm thinking of buying it for the trip...yet i have already the 35mm 1.8G and starting to think that it might be enough for me...though i could use the wide end and tele end of the sigma for landscapes and portraits.

I know that many of you will tell me "take both, there small and light...why just take one?"...there are many reasons that i want to take only one lens...its a less of a hassle, less worrying about theft etc...should i buy the sigma specially for this trip? - i want a fast lens...i think its important for many things like portraits and night shooting. so that way i'm only giving up light from 1.8 to 2.8 yet i'm gaining the wide and tele that i don't have on my 35mm 1.8G...so what do you think?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would go for the small,light, flexible zoom lens. It has the focal length flexibility and the range that MAKE the 17-50/16-50/17-55/18-55 zooms so popular and so widely made by manufacturers and third-party lens makers.

Thanks Derrel i was coming to that conclusion myself that its a all around good compromise between a fast lens and being a bit more versatile then a 35mm prime. i love my 35mm but for traveling i guess its better to have the sigma.

35mm would be restrictive for buildings and landscapes, etc.... I think you would miss the wide side.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back