One Minute Before the Show

The mistake you're making here is assuming that your negative comments override the positive ones made on the same image. You further insult the other posters who are enthusiastic about the shot by implying they're just "nice guys who literally like everything," as if they couldn't possibly really like this photo for the reasons they stated.
hello Terri,

there must be then some language barrier involved ... I didn't mean it like that, completely and absolutely ... this is misinterpreted ... my point about nice guys wasn't in regard to this photo ... My point about **nice guys was meant that there are certain people who never share any critique in general and with **other other guys I meant that there are also people who never praise anything as opposite to nice guys (not necessarily they emit only critique) .. I wanted to say - also I've noted "but that's not the case" - that I *always* value a honest and candid opinion to be shared rather than saying nothing .. Everybody can of course pick his/her level of contribution but in general I see more value in when people care for others, for theirs work, giving them feedback and opinions ..

cheers, ~dan

I've seen this one a few times on phone and tablet but failed to comment, because it just doesn't display well on a small screen. Looking at it on the big screen today, IMO it's a difficult technical shot done extremely well. The dynamic range here is through the roof, yet the only blown highlights are the lights on stage, but still there's a lot of details in the shadows, a feat many would not be able to accomplish. The rim lighting on the silhouettes and spectators faces, is fabulous, it realy makes the shot. In the small screen view the tent on the right doesn't view well, but on the larger screen with more detail in the shadows, it works to add context. All in all not bad!

Well seen smoke! :encouragement:

The Profoto D1 Air and the D3X are really a good reliable set of tools
that will support all of the craziest ambitions I may come up with. :)

Profoto makes some really good lighting equipment, I subscribe to their tutorials. The D1 has been replaced by the D2, TTL, which is even better. If I were shooting on a regular basis or outside, I would probably pay the price, but I rarely if ever need a full 1000ws monolight in my small studio. Plus I'm hard headed and have stuck with Pentax and their proprietary PTTL system which doesn't play nice with others anyhow. For what I do, my ABs connected via the PB Cybercommander work well. The AB line is built like a tank, very dependable. Paul Buffs office is only a couple hours away, and the staff are extremely helpful when I've needed them, so I don't see me changing.

The D1 has been replaced by the D2, TTL, which is even better.
Nahhh… not really, smoke.

The power is only 500 w/s but it has 10 stops now. I shoot a lot
on location and the extra power is great. In studio, it would be a
desirable feature but I use B1 and B2.

Nahhh… not really, smoke.

The power is only 500 w/s but it has 10 stops now. I shoot a lot
on location and the extra power is great. In studio, it would be a
desirable feature but I use B1 and B2.
The D2 1000 claims 1,000ws, but I can't find any collaborative information as to whether that's actually output.

My small studio is only 20x25, AB800s for key and fill, and AB400s for kicker and Background provide ample light, for an aperture range of f5.6-f9 and ISO100, regardless of modifiers. Of late I'm hooked on the softness of a 6' brolly with diffusion, a diffused 2x4 for fill.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back