one of my first photos for class....comments or recs appreciated :-]

callmedna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
silohuette.jpg

this is a black and white film photo class, so i had to scan the photo and that obviously lessened the quality a bit. the assignment was "silohuettes." this is one of my favorite quotes by e.e. cummings.

Welcome to TPF, first of all!

My likes: I like how the white in the letters is not blown out. I think that this also fits with the "silhouette" theme.

Recommendations: It took me a good 30 seconds to figure out what was written on the sign, the lettering is not that great.

Also, I'd like to see it with the sign a slightly different shade of black, it blends in with the person...

But a nice shot, it tells a story. I like it!

I agree with Harmony. I would lighten the sign a little bit and, maybe darken the hands more once the sign is lightened.

it didnt take me any time to read it. I think its great

I could read it right away. Nice attempt, the only thing that sticks out at me is the subject's left hand, is not completely silhouetted as the rest of him is.

That quote is great, btw.

Very nice. I had no trouble reading at all. Maybe try to lighten it a bit and have a look. If some details start appearing inside the person (i.e. no longer silhouette) ignore my suggestion.

A+ I like it very much and the quote is awesome as well!!

I had no problem reading either, for a silohuette I would have much rather seen the light come from behind the subject more, rather then off to the right of the camera. It almost looks like the light was almost 90°. How was the print developed? Was it in a traditional wet darkroom? It almost look like the silohuette was burned in (image got a little fuzzy under the subjects right arm pit)
Just my thoughts, please let us know how it was done

Most reactions

Back