one stary night

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so for those of you who care i moved from Michigan to the Bay area (Near San Francisco) a couple of months ago and finally im setteled in and i can start to post my back log of pictures
This one is from September and it was taken in northern michigan.

This was taken on T-max100, 50mm lens F/8 and a shutter time of approx 5 hours.
7-1.jpg

I love photos like this i recently moved from Michigan too and I do miss the U.P. a bit but where i live now is not half bad either.anyway great job on this hope to see more like this

Wow.

Somehow your telling us it was taken on T-Max100 suggests to me it was taken on film, wasn't it? Isn't that a type of film?

And would any digital sensor deal well with a bulb exposure of way over just one hour? Didn't I hear right here on TPF that too long exposed can, indeed, do those things some harm?

Anyhow: when you finally saw what came out of your leaving the camera out there while you went to bed (?), weren't you all excited? I would have been! Way cool!

haha, yes this was done on Film, and the camera i use is fully manual. IE mechanical shutter so i dont need batteries to hold it open. From what i have heard most cameras will run out of power after about 1 hour of holding the shutter open but not on fully mechanical cameras.
I actually didnt go to bed, I set this up around 9pm then went to a bonfire and took it down before i went to bed around 2 am. but when i pulled this out of my tank i was quite excited :)

Wouldn't the greek astronoms like to do this?
Great job.
Dani

How did you hold that button down for 5 hours, I bet your finger is in a cast!!

Gret job.

Awesome. I don't think this sort of thing is possible with a digital camera.

well, most old cameras have a shutter lock button, so i just locked the shutter open.
and yea, only fully mechanical cameras can do such long exposures, thats why when i go digital, i'll still use this camera.

Im glad you all like it. next time i get to a place away from the city i'll do another one.

what iso film you use for that shot.I have a film camera coming in the mail and have been wanting to make a shot like that for years.

You must have really low light pollution over there! Nice result from a 5 hr exposure!:thumbup:

I have a Fuji film camera for my astro stuff now which has no battery either! If the battery drain or long sensor exposure on a digital doesn't do enough harm I'm sure the cold temperatures and dew forming inside would! :shock:

Besides which I wouldn't be too worried about leaving my Fuji outside in the middle of the night whilst I poped inside to make a coffee!

Very nice, I especially like the framing of this shot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back