Online/mail photo courses recommendable?

Irminsul

'The Column of Heaven'
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My youngest daughter is interested in photography and feels that she needs the structure provided by formal instruction. The local community college and university both require either prerequisite courses or an arts major before they let a student take Photo 101. So she is considering a choice between an online course from Hollywood CA and a mail course from an old and better-established institute in New York. Does anyone have any opinion regarding these options, whether they are to be recommended, or avoided? I don't want to discourage her, and I appreciate the difficulties in finding good classroom courses in Miami, Florida, but how "hands-on" effective could such online/mail courses be?

I have the course from the "old and better-established" school in NY and I will say it's a very good course for what it is. But it isn't cheap and at best will take her 12-15 months to complete. The course requires a lot of commitment to practice shooting, eventually requires some lighting equipment, possibly hiring models, looking for photojournalism opportunities, pretty much all that a local college would require to get the most from it. As for content, she could learn as much from a variety of books on photography, joining a local camera club, and entering local exhibits and competitions.
I didn't realize schools required pre-reqs for photography courses but I wonder if she had a nice portfolio put together whether the photo instructor could/would waive the pre-reqs.
I don't spend as much time here on TPF as I used to so if you have any specific questions about the course, feel free to e-mail me. Mention the school in the subject header so I don't just delete it as spam.

DestinDave said:
As for content, she could learn as much from a variety of books on photography, joining a local camera club, and entering local exhibits and competitions.
I didn't realize schools required pre-reqs for photography courses but I wonder if she had a nice portfolio put together whether the photo instructor could/would waive the pre-reqs.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I think I'll recommend that she go the books/camera club, etc. route. (Mmm.. I wonder how to go about looking for a camera club in South Florida?) The college I referred to is Miami Community College. All the photography courses have the 101 course as a pre-req (according to the course catalog). And course 101 has art courses as a pre-req! Rather roundabout I think.

Most reactions

Back