Online Photo Contest

snapshot33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to raise funds for a weekly online photo contest. This is a weekly contest which will feature different themes and categories each week. For example, this week could be Category : People and the theme : at work or it could be category : Food and the theme : dessert.

People will then submit photos based on the category and theme for the competition.

Please look at <Link deleted. TPF does not permit the soliciation of funds from its membership.> for more details.

Thank you for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so let me get this straight...

You're creating a platform where people can enter their photos in a competition.
The photos will be judged by, liked by and commented upon by other users of the same platform.
You're coming to probably the largest photography community in the world where photos can be commented on and critiqued by professionals and enthusiastic amateurs which have years of experience (and usually are rather proud of what they do and a little elite when it comes to their views on photography) and you're asking whether they'd like to help build this platform by donating money.
The goal of the platform is essentially to help people see whether they're any good at photography or not.

And you're calling the platform Snapshot...?!? o_O

Well there's no shocker in that, we see it every day.
This is a lot more original than the usual spam though. xD

Ok, so let me get this straight...

You're creating a platform where people can enter their photos in a competition.
The photos will be judged by, liked by and commented upon by other users of the same platform.
You're coming to probably the largest photography community in the world where photos can be commented on and critiqued by professionals and enthusiastic amateurs which have years of experience (and usually are rather proud of what they do and a little elite when it comes to their views on photography) and you're asking whether they'd like to help build this platform by donating money.
The goal of the platform is essentially to help people see whether they're any good at photography or not.

And you're calling the platform Snapshot...?!? o_O

Hi Judobreaker,
First I like to thank you for checking out my fund raising campaign, and I guess for the compliment "a lot more original than the usual spam". :lol:
I chose the name snapshot not for its meaning :" a photograph that is shot spontaneously and quickly , most often without journalistic or artistic intent" but for its appeal to everyone in that everyone would know that snapshot is associated with photography. At the end of the day, the contest is aimed at everyone, both amateurs and professionals. Amateurs may be after the prizes whilst professionals might just want a little street cred (achievements and badges on the site) and extra pocket money..

I've researched online and there isn't another photography contest like mine around, with several weekly themes and ladder rankings. I have had this idea for a while and decided to act on it after seeing Flickr introduce their ladder system.

The goal of the platform is not just to see whether users are any good at photography but also to see if the pictures taken are popular and to see how other people interpret the different categories and themes. There is also the social aspect of the platform aka like facebook and of course user interaction, similar to what we are doing now.

If you have a better name, please share it with me (if you don't mind me misappropriating it, full credit will go to you for the naming rights). However, photographic terms like aperture, f-stop , the common man (with the smartphone) may not know that the name is photographic related.

Haha. Define spam eh? :p

Yes I think the idea is pretty original, I've never heard of anything like it. It even might take off, I don't know... I think it might work.
However, if you're aiming at both amateurs and professionals I'd advise against using the name snapshot.
Very enthusiastic amateurs and professionals aren't generally pleased if someone associates their photos with the word snapshot, they might hink it an insult. ^^
My guess is that the name might just be one of the most important and hardest things to get right...

Most reactions

Back