Online photo sharing/storage advise wanted

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I am brand new to this wonderful site. I have a question... what are some good places for online photo sharing and storage? I have heard that if you flickr you lose your rights to your photos.

smugmug is really good

^ Been using SmugMug for a few years now, I really like it.

I can't customize the look of Flickr so that one was axed off my list almost immediately.

Thanks very much for the advice. I am looking at their website and it looks pretty good. I have 1 last question.. and it's about copyrights.

SmugMug has this in their terms and conditions:

5. Copyright And Limited License
The Site and all Photos, text, video, code and other content and materials on the Site and the selection and arrangement thereof (collectively, the "Site Materials") are the property of SmugMug or its licensors or users and are protected by United States and international copyright laws.

I'm not 100% up on my copyright laws.. does this mean anything I store and share on their website becomes their property?

no... because it also says "or users" you're the user.. so, the photos you out on there, are yours.. the photos they put on there, are theres..

Ok then.. that's what I was hoping they were saying! I may be pretty new to photography, but once in a while I get an ok shot (pure fluke still lol) and just want to ensure I don't lose any rights to them. I'm waiting for my local camera club to start up again next month, so right now I have like a million questions.

I have heard that if you flickr you lose your rights to your photos.

not true - flickr lets you keep all rights to your images as standard, however they do have Creative Commons licences as part of their setup. That means you can place this licence over your image to allow people to do a limited range of things with it (which you select). You don't have to allow this at all its purly an option as part of the website.

The only thing is that even the most encripted website can be hacked (even smugmug) so unless you have a need to its always best to just upload smaller image to the net - resized to between 600 and 1000 pixels on the longest side is plenty large enough for the net

Most reactions

Back