Online Photography classes?

Jaimiem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always wanted to take a photography class while in school but it never fit in my schedule. Now I'm trying to learn on my own, but would like to take an online class if available. Anyone taking one? Have one to recommend? I'd definitely like a class that's both photography and processing so that I can finally learn how to really use my PS too!

I would highly recommend looking into local art college or community college classes open to anyone.

You have everything you would ever need right here....;)

You have everything you would ever need right here....;)

With a hint of sarcasm and a dash of brutal honesty. Enjoy!

:hug::

To be honest it all depends how you learn......if you need a person infront of you showing you everything then take a class. But if you can read and pick things up things on your own I would say Youtube and here can teach you lots.

BTW.......have some tough skin around here and show that you are trying to learn, people will embraces you. ;):thumbup:

Keep in mind that pretty much anything you learn at an online class can be learned for free. If you're a person that needs to learn from someone you won't learn well from faceless online lessons.

So, free stuff online or community college classes.

Thanks! I've got thick skin and can certainly dish it back ;)

I think I just want to know the background on it all and specifics. I've picked up a lot over the past 3 years owning my dSLR and now as I venture to buy a bigger (drool) camera, I want to feel justified in the purchase by learning more.

I shoot in Manual and can handle it, but I don't always know why I'm making the selection I'm making or if I could do something at a different setting that would make it better.

I will say the bad thing about most colleges is the first 101 courses and sometimes more are usually all about film and developing. Not that its a bad thing at all, but as much as I like learning about history, developing in a darkroom just isnt what I am looking for. If I stumbled upon a class that was all about composition, color, art in general, I would take it. I have taken quite a few weekend seminars and workshops that I find much more interesting and hands on than any college course. Look into some photo clubs (they can be more brutal than in here even though!) alot of the people are great to network with and they often have workshops and things throughout the year. Just my own insight here.

You'll do fine here.........:hug::

A good book or two might be extremely helpful. Some of the stuff I see on YouTube is done by people of pretty limited experience...at times it's almost like the blind leading the blind...I saw a Rembrandt Lighting demo that was so hilariously bad it wasn't even funny...and the lighting pattern wasn't even done right! The video was done by a young woman in her early 20's and was on on "educational" web site...she was called out on her bad "lesson" by several people.

No problem. That blog is what really made me 'get it' when I started nearly 9 months ago.

I always wanted to take a photography class while in school but it never fit in my schedule. Now I'm trying to learn on my own, but would like to take an online class if available. Anyone taking one? Have one to recommend? I'd definitely like a class that's both photography and processing so that I can finally learn how to really use my PS too!

Every online class I researched gave me nothing that warranted a "must take" class. Then I realized that if I had the time to invest in an online class then I had time to find a local group or take classes at a camera shop. That's what I did and I feel I'm learning considerable more this way.

I say do it all...Read the forums/ article ,photo sites etc... but classes are real good. Depends on your individual learning curve. If you learn easily and well , quickly unlike most of us then some of the online courses might be alright. Learn basic photography from a teacher, it will eventually be far better than an online curriculum that i know of.

Most reactions

Back