Oops! Cnet jumps the gun and announces new Rebel T1i

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Canon Rebel T1i leak? 15MP DSLR with 1080p video - SlashGear

Yup, 15mp with 1080 HD video capture capability (20fps) and also the ability to capture at 720 (30fps).

It looks like an amazing camera for the money.

They yanked the video but not before someone captured it and posted it. I guess Canon hasn't formally announced it just yet.

ho hum...

It's a 15mp XSi with video and can finally shoot high ISO, although not that useful. 12000 on the APS sensors looks like dog ****.

498471249_4N2cU-M.jpg

the pop-up flash thing is a bit high ?

:D

It's Canon - who cares?

/flamebait

Edit: Oh, ok. I'll revise it: it's digital - who cares? :p

mmmmmmhmmmmm btw its official now

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i now official

to repost a comment I made there, if Canon dropped the Rebel moniker, this would be pronounced "tee-one-eye", which I'm sure would have some folks going into Best Buy and asking for a Canon Tijuana. How does Canon come up with these model names anyways? :p

No such thing. The higher the better. Why do you think flash brackets exist.

meh . im just saying :D

i really liek the "rebel" badge :thumbsup:

if Canon dropped the Rebel moniker, this would be pronounced "tee-one-eye", which I'm sure would have some folks going into Best Buy and asking for a Canon Tijuana. :p

:lol:!!

Posted it here just as it was released. :)

If it was in the wrong position, please move it...

hmm I wonder - after all the debates about the 50D going to 15mp and the issuse people said about that camera (no real noise improvement over the 40D and a need for high quality lenses to retain details due to stronger noise removal processes) I wonder what the chances are of the rebel having any better ISO performance than its former models.
It certainly looks like a good upgrade to someone on a limited budget who is perhapse using a 400D (or older) and some with a 450D who want video might move up also.
It also makes the 50D stand out as more of a missing release in the canon lineup since it is now the only new DSLR released by canon without the video mode (yes some of us do care about video mode).
Spot metering is also something that I think is a great addition to a lower level camera - whilst its not for everyone its certainly something that has many uses and applications once learnt.

The release is interesting and I wonder if this means we will see a second release in the middle ground crop sensor cameras (a 60D with video?) but I will wait and see how this camera performs with its noise control - the 50D has proven to be decent but not without some concerns and that is a level above this camera.

The release is interesting and I wonder if this means we will see a second release in the middle ground crop sensor cameras (a 60D with video?) but I will wait and see how this camera performs with its noise control - the 50D has proven to be decent but not without some concerns and that is a level above this camera.
I agree the T1i is an interesting release. It really puts it at the top of the entry level market for now.

I agree, the 50D is looking more and more like a stop-gap release to quickly modernize the 40D. The rumored 60D improvements have me pretty excited.

hmm I wonder - after all the debates about the 50D going to 15mp and the issuse people said about that camera (no real noise improvement over the 40D and a need for high quality lenses to retain details due to stronger noise removal processes) I wonder what the chances are of the rebel having any better ISO performance than its former models.

That would be my concern too, 15mp on a crop sensor is definatly pushing it. It's possible they've tweaked it but I doubt it given it's not a 50D replacement.

Sadly I think people (who don't need the video aspect) will buy it on the back of 15mp is better and I would think it's going to be worse in general performance than the XSi... and where the heck is the top panel LCD?

Really bugs me that manufacturers are missing them out, the K200D has it and it's invaluable, why can't others put it in?

I think canon want ot keep the rebel cameras small - so no top panel LCD - its to attract the point and shoot upgrades who probably won't even go further than the rebel camera - so they want something that is better, but also similar - a top LCD is not only going to make the camera body bigger but also its going to look more intimidating to some - they just want a good camera with no shutter lag and a few auto modes - nothing too complicated

Sadly I think people (who don't need the video aspect) will buy it on the back of 15mp is better and I would think it's going to be worse in general performance than the XSi... and where the heck is the top panel LCD?
Look at it this way, if it has the same sensor as the 50D then its ISO performance will be notably better than the previous Rebel series.

Worse in general performance? I don't think so. It has the DIGIC IV processor. It can easily handle the image files of the 15mp sensor. That's the exact same setup as the 50D and it can fire off 15+ frames at 6.3fps in RAW mode without choking the processor or buffer. I'm confident Canon made the buffer large enough to handle the relatively slow FPS of the T1i.

As for the top panel LCD... I guess they figured they had to do something to separate it from their higher end cameras. That, and they've apparently kept the T1i on the same basic chassis as the previous Rebels which doesn't allow for it.

I shoot a canon 400d and have being waiting patiently for a canon model to come out that gets excellent reviews regarding its high ISO performance (i cant afford 5D and above) and then this comes out! Is anyone else thinking they would rather the 500D to have a 12MP sensor with more effort gone into high ISO performance? Ok i dont know how it will perform but from a marketing perspective canon have hardly made the 500D better than the 50D in this regard and that hardly blew the reviewers away.

I cant wait to see the 60D 21MP when it comes out......
I will try to remain patient and continue to look at the Nikon lineup with jealousy.......

Most reactions

Back