Open invitation! Max Bloom included!

Your photos in general just really lack the wow factor. The'yre very generic...photos of birds, sunsets, bridges, flowers, etc. As I've said before, the more common your subject matter is, the harder you have to work in order to capture it in a new way. And I don't think you've accomplished that. So there's a vivid sunset...been there done that. Also, you should trim down your portfolio. There's no reason to have 20 different beach sunsets/sunrises, 12 different seagulls, 8 flowers, etc. Pick the best and stick with it unless there's something extraordinarily distinguishing about the other similar ones. I think you need to focus on finding new subjects, or work really hard at capturing everyday subject in a new and interesting way.

To be honest max I didn't even look at them all. I just picked the first one to look at. I agree that it is hard to capture the overdone originally but it is good experience to shoot what others shoot since the lessons are there to be learned.

Why does his highway picture look great and mine doesn't kind of thing. That should lead you from being after the fact, to seeing it in your head before you raise the camera. The old change the angle on the bridge thing.

In my opinion every image doesn't have to be wow or even greater than anyone elses. It should be the best it can be though. (I hear the army recruiter in the background)

You might be right some of them might be the best they can be and still be boring. But since some of my stuff is more boring I can't speak to that in good conscience.

Well I think it should go without saying that if you're in the emulation phase of the learning process then what I wrote is pretty moot. But if Moe is beyond that, then I do think it's rather unoriginal.

I realize some of the pictures are fairly redundant. The idea of posting them here was to find out which worked better then the other. I was hoping to hear... well I like how in this one it has xxx not yyy like in this one.

Well I think it should go without saying that if you're in the emulation phase of the learning process then what I wrote is pretty moot. But if Moe is beyond that, then I do think it's rather unoriginal.

That is exactly what I am trying to get beyond. I want to stop taking pictures and start taking photographs. I really do appreciate all of your guys input.

ah so it wasn't critique as much as strokes.... Thats fine seems to be mostly what people want. I personally wouldn't invite tough critique if I wanted that.

I worded that poorly then... I couldn't care less about strokes. I am solely interested in taking better shots. I thought I made it clear when I called out Max that tough critique is what I was after.

Things like "nice pic", and "great shot" won't make me a better photographer specifics like X works, Y doesn't, and what the hell were you thinking with Z does.

Posts like your one above about depth and dimensions was exactly what I was after. That is 100x more useful than strokes.

Most reactions

Back