"opening up can of worms"

slammer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, my photography expierence.... None!!!

Ok, got that out of the way. :) I recently purchased a nikkor 18-200VR lense from a site suggested here to use from B & H. To my "and their" dismay, the lense has noticeable trash in it so it will be returned for another lense. The only thing is they do NOT have another in stock of the same variety and with further investigation I am having second thoughts on this lense anyway. Giving I know nothing about photography in the first place I was hoping for more zoom for closeups. I am an outdoor enthusiasts but will also be using the lense for indoor subjects such as award banquets for my kids, indoor soccer and family functions "inside the majority of the time" along with the day to day camera needs of the average Joe.

My friend that appears to be most excellent with his short term photography experience suggested I get the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 which can be found here for my use. He uses the 18-200 also and suggested I get both, but I can't swing the bat for both lenses after spending 2k thus far in two weeks, the wife would de-head me in my sleep if I did.

Any and ALL feedback is most appreciated do to lack of funds on my part and in in need to get it right the first time... One side note: With this lense I do understand that a short range lense would be pleasant to obtain in short order to appreciate the close-ups I miss in the meantime.

Thank You for your time and honesty

O'Yeah, D80 one week new ;)

I am not a Nikon person. but I wouldn't get both of those lenses. Just pick one, they both overlap too much as far as coverage. The f/2.8 will work best for indoor, sports photos where low-light and action shots are concern. VR is great for hand-held shots but a good tripod or monopod can also suffice. a

What lens(es) do you currently have so we can advice lenses that would complement that? I'd personally go with the 50-150 F/2.8 or go one up and get the 70-200 F/2.8 from Sigma. The latter might be a better lens to complement your 18-70mm kit lens if you have one.

This will be my only lense to start with.... The one I bought 18-200vr is defective and will be returned, the camera and lense were bought seperately.

And I don't know about speed, I would like to be able to zoom in on theings better at a distance.

We all had to learn to walk once :greenpbl:

And I don't know about speed, I would like to be able to zoom in on theings better at a distance.

You can't expect to get a lens that will give you more range of focal lengths than an 18-200. That's a greater than ten power range and is pushing the limits of decent optics. If you want to get more 'zoom' range you will have to get a separate lens for major 'zooms.'

If you don't understand what I am saying, you need to do some reading before you spend any more money. Tips or small pieces of advice are no substitute for some basic knowledge in the issues.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back