Opinions on 3 Nikkor lenses please

I wish people would get it in their heads that the focal length does not increase on a cropped sensor.......... it's the Field of View that changes.
I absolutely agree. Also, a DX lens still 'suffers' from the crop factor. I don't understand why people think otherwise. If 18-55 gave you the field of view on a crop sensor that it did on film, Nikon wouldn't of needed to make a 12-24...

In defense of the people who say things like "it'll be equivalant to 155", etc.. it's normally just a lazy way of saying field of view is equivalant. But, it does perpetuate the mis-understandings of crop factor.

In defense of the people who say things like "it'll be equivalant to 155", etc.. it's normally just a lazy way of saying field of view is equivalant. But, it does perpetuate the mis-understandings of crop factor.

I fully agree. The focal length of a lens does not change regardless, but try explaining field-of-views to the average layperson in a camera store, and watch the "deer in a headlight" staring back at you. It's just easier to just say that "this" lens is equivalent to having "this" lens on your old 35mm, which is still technically correct without having to go into the details why.

Not much of a defense there Tol. :lol: But (I think) I understand where you're going. The problem as I see it, is that this garbage is regurgitated so much that it is presumed as fact. Hell, I fell victim to the scam when I first got into digital and cropped sensors. I just feel compelled sometimes to say what's on my mind and speak out about this abomination of misinformation. It serves no one well. Can I get a "Hell Yeah!!!"

*steps off soap box*

I fully agree. The focal length of a lens does not change regardless, but try explaining field-of-views to the average layperson in a camera store, and watch the "deer in a headlight" staring back at you. It's just easier to just say that "this" lens is equivalent to having "this" lens on your old 35mm, which is still technically correct without having to go into the details why.
Actually, I tend to explain it quite well. :) I just pull out a full frame and a cropped sensor camera and show them the difference, then explain why.

And as to the OP, congrats on the 85 1.8, you made the right choice :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back