What's new

Opinions on Nikon to Canon Lens adapters!

xUnknownSoul

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
Somewhere with a lot of oxygen :)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so here's the predicament.

I'm buying a Canon 5DMii w/ 24-105mm F/4 L . I currently shoot with a Nikon D80 and have a few lenses. I'd like to get an adapter mount because I don't currently have enough money to buy all new lenses (Saying how I'm a college student still.)

What are your thoughts on the adapters?
 
Out of interest why are you buying into Canon when Nikon have their own fullframe camera body option? That at least lets you keep the similar interface and lenses you've currently got without the need for adaptors.
 
Using those types of adapters is like trying put in a screw, with a hammer.

Nikon lens apertures are adjusted with a motor in the camera body, and a mechanical link to the lens.

Canon does it all electronically, and has zero mechanical links in their mount.

You can probably forget auto focus and metering too with el cheapo adapters.
 
Out of interest why are you buying into Canon when Nikon have their own fullframe camera body option? That at least lets you keep the similar interface and lenses you've currently got without the need for adaptors.


I'm also a videographer (which I'm starting to focus on more and more) so the fact that it's a full frame with HD Vid, and at a decent price for both a great camera and video camera in one, i can't pass it up..

I wish Nikon had a full frame with 1080 video capabilities within the same price-range as the 5DMii, I'd jump right on it.
 
xUnknownSoul said:
I'm also a videographer (which I'm starting to focus on more and more) so the fact that it's a full frame with HD Vid, and at a decent price for both a great camera and video camera in one, i can't pass it up..

I wish Nikon had a full frame with 1080 video capabilities within the same price-range as the 5DMii, I'd jump right on it.

Well the d800 will fit that bill... If they ever get off their arsches and release the freaking thing!
 
Why don't you sell your Nikon lenses? I'd assume they hold their value as well as Canon gear, which basically never loses value unless a new model comes out.


--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.
 
Why don't you sell your Nikon lenses? I'd assume they hold their value as well as Canon gear, which basically never loses value unless a new model comes out.

This is what I was thinking. Used pro lenses that are still in production are barely 5% off retail on eBay. Might even be less of a loss than buying an adapter in some cases.

(Unless of course you have a 14-24 f/2.8 :), that'd be worth adapting if you could figure it out. It's the only lens Nikon makes that I really wish Canon would match.)
 
Well the d800 will fit that bill... If they ever get off their arsches and release the freaking thing!
Ya, that 9.0 - earthquake/tsunami thing really put them, and a lot of their parts suppliers, on their butt.

Of course the city closest to the epicenter was Sendai, where most of their parts suppliers, and several of their full frame camera and pro lens facilites are.
 
Ok, so here's the predicament.

I'm buying a Canon 5DMii w/ 24-105mm F/4 L . I currently shoot with a Nikon D80 and have a few lenses. I'd like to get an adapter mount because I don't currently have enough money to buy all new lenses (Saying how I'm a college student still.)

What are your thoughts on the adapters?

If your Nikon lenses have aperture rings on them, you can easily use low-cost F-mount to EF-mount adapters, priced at around $17 to $20 each from eBay vendors. I have 13 such adapters for Nikon to Canon and about five for M42 thread mount to Canon EF mount.

Since most all newer d-slr's have viewfinder screens that are pretty smoothly-ground, and very bright, there's not much difficulty in "seeing" the image at apertures from f/1.4 down to f/4.5 to f/4.8. Even f/5.6 is reasonably bright. Some lenses, like 50mm normals, 85mm f/1.8 or 1.4, and 100,105,135,and 200mm telephotos are VERY easy to use with an adapter. SOme lenses are very,vry easy to use on an adapter, due to a combination of wide aperture, moderate to long focal length, or relatively high magnification. In brighter lighting conditions, using a lens on an adapter is quite easy; in low-light conditions, using an adapted lens can be difficult.

The low-spec'd lenses like the 18-55 kit lens or 55-200 DX Nikkors are not worth adapting.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom