Opinions on this studio set up?

Pariah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found this last night, and I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on the brand, cost, etc. I like that everything comes in one kit. My goal is to have a studio in our house in about six months...I'm just starting my research on what to buy, so if anyone has other suggestions, those would certainly be welcome. I don't have a huge amount of money to spend (up to $2k-ish), but I don't want something too cheap and of poor quality, either. We're renting, so I can't permanently attach anything anywhere, or otherwise alter the place too much. I have a Nikon D80, by the way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&coliid=I1D61M4FDGRUG7&colid=12SHP9Q29W31Y

I don't have anyone in "real life" that knows about photography, and I've read lots of good information while browsing here in the past so I figured this was a good place to ask.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This package seems to be ok. Unfortunately there is no listing of brand or anything...at least not that I could see from a quick glance. The problem you run into here is that you don't exactly know what you're getting. Sure the info says that the strobes are 200w/s, but shady businesses sometimes list the W/S much higher then they actually are. I'd try to stick with more reputable businesses if at all possible, especially if you can afford it. AlienBees make great lights...I got pretty much the package you're looking at on Amazon from AlienBees (3 light...higher power though, softboxes, stands, umbrellas, etc.) I didn't get a boom stand though...haven't really needed one though. The whole set cost me right around $1,000. This is more then that set on Amazon...but let me tell you the piece of mind of having a good brand is worth it. Look into AlienBees, you won't be disappointed. BTW, I don't work for AB, I just really like their product for studio work. For portability I just use Nikon Speedlights.

Once I saw the picture on Amazon, I knew I'd seen that set before. It's a bit cheaper on Ebay, and you're getting it direct from the dealer. I've bought a few things from him, and I was pleased with everything I got. For that price I wouldn't expect top notch quality, but IMO, you will get your moneys worth. I got a set of stands, continuous lights and umbrellas from him over a year ago, and I've never had a problem with anything. For the quality of the set and the power of the strobes, I don't think you can find a much better deal.

They are also very fast to ship, and very helpful if you email them with any questions you might have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Studio-Flash-St...ryZ30087QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Personally, if I had "2k-ish" to spend, I would go with a set of AlienBees, like nicfargo suggested.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks! I'm checking out the AlienBees site now.

Personally, if I had "2k-ish" to spend, I would go with a set of AlienBees, like nicfargo suggested.

Believe me, you don't need 2k. I spent 1k and got 3 lights (2 AB800, 1AB400). 2 big stands and 1 background stand. The biggest softbox they have. 2 umbrellas. Gels, ND Filters, Honeycomb Filters, etc. They're not that bad. Honestly...save another month and jump up to the AB quality. Their customer service is amazing. You'll read plenty of stories I'm sure.

Believe me, you don't need 2k. I spent 1k and got 3 lights (2 AB800, 1AB400). 2 big stands and 1 background stand. The biggest softbox they have. 2 umbrellas. Gels, ND Filters, Honeycomb Filters, etc. They're not that bad. Honestly...save another month and jump up to the AB quality. Their customer service is amazing. You'll read plenty of stories I'm sure.

I know you don't need to spend $2000 to get a set of lights from AB. I just meant if I had a bigger budget than a couple hundred dollars, I'd definitely go with them instead of someone on Amazon or Ebay selling no-name lights. I was tempted to buy that same set, but then I remembered that if I can save for a year just to get a 580 EXII, I can save up and get the lights I really want. :thumbup:

Alienbees are good if you can afford them...but if his budget is 2k, alienbees is probably not the BEST he can get.

Let's save him some money though...Alienbees it is...lol. There's really nothing wrong with them, and everyone seems to like em.

What are the lights you really want then John?

What are the lights you really want then John?

I'm saving up now for a set from AlienBees. Since I have a fairly small apartment, I'm thinking of getting the "DigiBee" set, then some accessories like softboxes and barndoor, and then maybe the background kit. I already have a couple stands, a few umbrellas, and 3 sets of reflectors, so I'll probably just buy the DigiBee set and then individual strobes after that and just use the stands I already have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back