Opinions Preffered

Forgotten

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just picked up a dsc220 (major jump from my 7 mp olympus pos) and im learning some new settings and such before i start dipping in for a copy of photoshop. I feel photography is made in the picture not altering it with software. So here is my first attempt. i want all collective input.

thanks
DSC00086.jpg

I feel photography is made in the picture not altering it with software.

While PP doesn't make a bad photo good, it can make a good photo great.
PP has been done for ages from hand painted tin types to PP done with film. dSLR's often have saturation, white balance, sharpening, color, and contrast adjustments IN camera which is in effect PP. You shouldn't neglect the further creative possibilities using photoshop can give you either.

If you are a purist, I can respect that. I found it interesting to bring it up in your first post.

As for your test shot...it's a test shot.
What would you like comments on?

bitter jeweler, thanks for the input.
Im curious to know about the composition and the depth of the picture. should i have done something different, found a better way or does my little backyard repulse you like a rotting limb(lol j/k)

as far as photoshop goes its just a sharpen/clairity modification to the picture.
i feel that the picture should be kept as honest as posible. the color changes, adding and subtracting of things, light changes, etc. while i have seen it make the picture incredible, it almost seems fake at times to do that. its not "creating the perfect picture", its capturing it in the moment with the right settings at the right time.

lol, now let the bashers begin.

Adding the others here:
l_be55abd0e2c978140b6d8053e0baa2d4.jpg

l_23f5cc3b5efc25f8ac6ba3da2a8b1d3b.jpg

l_e082fd51d8f425ce9e5bc9190bbae2f9.jpg

Last edited:
bitter jeweler, thanks for the input.
Im curious to know about the composition and the depth of the picture. should i have done something different, found a better way or does my little backyard repulse you like a rotting limb(lol j/k)

Well, the picture has great depth. I'd say it repulses me...nah, it's just that it is just a test shot. The background is your backyard, and doesn't add anything compositionally to the image. The background is just as important as your subject. There really isn't much to critique. Now if you had that lantern hanging in the tree, at night, with the candle burning, you might have something. The glow of the candle lighting up layers of leaves and branches, branches used to creat leading lines...

as far as photoshop goes its just a sharpen/clairity modification to the picture.
i feel that the picture should be kept as honest as posible. the color changes, adding and subtracting of things, light changes, etc. while i have seen it make the picture incredible, it almost seems fake at times to do that. its not "creating the perfect picture", its capturing it in the moment with the right settings at the right time.

lol, now let the bashers begin.

Meh, it's been bashed repeatedly here.
We just have to agree to disagree and carry on.

Now on to your next set of images...

#1 is pretty nice. You captured the moment well.

#2 has nice framing of the subject.

Both horizons look straight.

thanks. the idea with the lantern is good, there is actually another one hanging from the tree. i could play around with that during fall...

the beach pictures where with the pos 7mp olympus point and shoot..

i did edit the sharpness/ colors/ and light a little bit on the first beach pic to make up for the blurryness. i have that copy floating around somewhere,

The first image is an interesting shot. When I look at it I see the lantern, which I immediately judge to be the main subject, and then my eye wanders into the background, which does not seem to add anything, at least for me. Assuming that you are trying to show us the lantern, I would suggest considering what it would look like if you had used less depth of field. The background of any image can establish a sense of place, but in this case it does not do all that much for me. Had it been blurred heavily it might have added interest as negative space that contrasts with the main subject, giving a more dynamic presentation of the lantern in a wider aspect ratio image. I also think that you did an admirable job with the conversion of this image to black and white. The tonal values look good - no blown highlights and most all of the shadows show detail where they add visual interest - and the overall contrast is good for this presentation of the subject in my opinion...

- Randy

I feel photography is made in the picture not altering it with software.

While PP doesn't make a bad photo good, it can make a good photo great.
PP has been done for ages from hand painted tin types to PP done with film. dSLR's often have saturation, white balance, sharpening, color, and contrast adjustments IN camera which is in effect PP. You shouldn't neglect the further creative possibilities using photoshop can give you either.

If you are a purist, I can respect that. I found it interesting to bring it up in your first post.

As for your test shot...it's a test shot.
What would you like comments on?

One exception is Kodachrome. There wasn't anything that you could do with it after pushing the shutter button (unless you took a picture of the picture and did your PP on Kodacolor). Fortunately, it was absolutely the finest film available with no need for PP for everything except portraits.

I really dont think theres much that you see in everyday media like magazines and what not that is straight from the camera. Everything is PP ....Mostly

I really dont think theres much that you see in everyday media like magazines and what not that is straight from the camera. Everything is PP ....Mostly
And has been since about the 4th photograph ever made back in the year 1820.

not trying to condone your actions of makeing fake photography :lmao:. do you guys preffer any software over photoshop and why? Im going to have to save for quite a while to aford it so if there is anything better, then maybe i should persu the x brand??

I would say, if you are a purist, you have no need to save up for photoshop, lightroom, or even use gimp. You should get it ALL right in camera. The instant you do anything with software outside the camera, you are no longer a purist, and relying on software to make your image better for ANY reason.

Ok, Forgotten, I want to make it clear that I am making a post utilizing humor, to make a point. I am sure you get my point, and understand that we have already agreed to disagree, and I can accept the 'purist's' view. I understand where you are coming from.

Cheers buddy!
:cheers:

thanks guys. i know a bit more on what i need to do to try to make my PURIST photography a bit better.

:lol:

Most reactions

Back