Opinions Solicited About smc Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL from Those Who Have Owned It for Years

Dale H. Cook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
plymouthcolony.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am considering buying a second prime lens for my K-70 (I already own an smc Pentax-D FA Macro 100mm f/2.8 WR and love it) and it should be a "natural field of view" lens. I don't have very deep pockets (I am retired and have limited funds) so I am looking at the smc Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL. I would like to solicit opinions from anyone who has used this lens for at least a couple of years.

Thanks, but that's not the lens I was asking about

Sorry missed that in your post. Here's the review of it SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I never had this one but suspect it's very similar to the little 50 f1.8 I had for a time, it did the job, but like the 50 I would bet that the build quality and lack of aperture ring will leave you wanting more. The difference in price is not that much more but the the 35 Ltd is a far superior lens. One that you'll hang on to for many years.

Sorry missed that in your post. Here's the review of it SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

... but like the 50 I would bet that the build quality and lack of aperture ring will leave you wanting more.

Thank you for the observations about the 50 f/1.8, and like you I suspect that your observation of the build quality apply to the 35 f/2.4. It looks like I would indeed be best served by a used 35 f/2.8 Limited.

Thank you for the observations about the 50 f/1.8, and like you I suspect that your observation of the build quality apply to the 35 f/2.4. It looks like I would indeed be best served by a used 35 f/2.8 Limited.
The build quality isn't bad but there's a difference between plastic and metal. I have both the 100mm and the 35. To me the image quality of the 35 ltd might be a tad better

Most reactions

Back