Opportunity to buy medium format cameras

deb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a Mamiya 6 x 7 (RB67), 2 Mamiya 645 Js, a Bronica 6 x 6 s and several lenses, backs and inserts. I have been using digital and 35 mm, but have an interest in medium format. Any thoughts on any of the cameras listed. I know that they aren't the latest models, but I think they may be fun.

Deb -

I've worked with each of them.... the RB is a pretty large camera - used it in studio... the 645j is an entry level 645 but is easy to handle and produces respectable negatives.... the Bronica is nice because it's a square format - you dont have to change camera position - ever! verticals or horizontals are simply a matter of cropping... I've got my 645 for sale because of Hurricane damage, otherwise i would always have a medium format.. good luck!!!

They are all good cameras. What kind of photography are you most interested in using them with?

I'm photographing some weddings and children's portraits. I'm also planning to do some on location type stuff at car shows and rod runs (not because I have a car fettish, but because other people do). The medium formats would be used mostly for the weddings and portraits.

Until I get familiar with them, they will be used to take pics of Katie and Kaizer (miniature schnauzers, one black the other black and silver). The dogs are good subjects for guaging exposure with any new piece of equipment.

If you are getting them cheap enough it would be a good learning situation...but if you're not getting them at a bargain price, you might be better off picking a 645 with a couple of lenses and using it for everything = with your 35 or digital as a backup during field work. That way you're not buying different accessories for 3 or 4 different cameras...

just a thought

I asked the guy for a price as a lot and for individual items. There is a one hour lab, passport cameras, button cameras, backdrops, several 35 mm cameras, props, studio lighting with extra stands and a lot of other stuff that I'm waiting on him to inventory and price.

I would go with the Bronica. They are going to be a whole lot more work then digital. You will need to pracitce tons before using them for a wedding.

Most reactions

Back