What's new

Opposing Forces

That shadow at the bottom disrupts the repetition :(
 
That shadow at the bottom disrupts the repetition :(

As does that tiny chip out of the second board up, lower corner right. And that knothole in the upper quadrant-OMG!!! It's sometimes called "dissonance". If it did not have at least some slight instance(s) of "dissonance" or "disruption", it might as well be a picture of a focus test chart.
 
Derrel said:
As does that tiny chip out of the second board up, lower corner right. And that knothole in the upper quadrant-OMG!!! It's sometimes called "dissonance". If it did not have at least some slight instance(s) of "dissonance" or "disruption", it might as well be a picture of a focus test chart.

That view goes against the many of the abstract-ish photos I've seen on here. Dissonance is great and all, but I'm more intrigued by pure patterns.

It's easier to find "dissonance" than it is to find "harmony" or whatever. Art theory is to be applied selectively.

(I was just kidding about the disruption thing. I like the photo regardless)
 
Nice work. I'd darken the shadows a bit, but others may disagree.
 
I like the photo, but agree with Dave. In my opinion (which I have to state that it is for you know who) the shadow on the bottom does detract from the image. If you cropped in the top and and bottom equally, it would look a more uniform and make a great print.
 
I have an advantage that some of you (most of you) probably do not have--I have seen the original, totally unedited raw file, and multiple workups of the file, as well as this variation of the image. I would say, "Show it un-cropped; it's even better that way at the original aspect ratio."

It's not not a facile, cookie-cutter pattern shot, but it could easily be made into one by cropping it down and eliminating any and all variations within the overall pattern. If that were done, then one could look at the picture for 10 to 20 seconds, and say "Nice shot!", and then never ever have any desire to see the picture again. Subtlety is often lost on the visually unsophisticated, or those who have been spoon-fed cliche images off the interwebz since the day they hit puberty. I'll say this: when I saw the original raw file I liked it, and when I saw a conversion of it done with one of my suggestions, I immediately thought, "I want a wall print of that shot." This cropped off version I am not as keen on.
 
I like the photo and take it for what it is. I guess you could photoshop it and make the pattern more pure but I don't think it would make it any more interesting.
 
Great eye and lovely photo. I like the subtle disruption created by the lighter pieces of wood.

I agree 100% with Ken's comments about darkening the shadows a bit.
 
Great image! Like it a lot! Maybe it could use some darkening in the shadows, but be careful not to loose too much detail.
Anyway, like it as it is :)
 
Rotanimod said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I also tried a black and white conversion on this and took into consideration some of the comments on the crop. Thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rotanimod/7702359778/
Opposing Forces BW by Majeed Badizadegan (Rotanimod), on Flickr

IMO, this one shines over the other. The darkening of the shadows led to a subtlety of the wood. The amount of difference in the to tonality allows you to appreciate the highlights and the shadow separately. And also that there is extremely uniform light patterns as far to all of the rays of light hit the side of the frame in either corner. I didn't see a real need for a shadow to be there in the first one. But then again this is all just an opinion.
 
This B&W version is vastly superior – great call. B&W is all about shapes and patterns and texture, which is what this image has to offer. Once you set eyes on it, you're mesmerized – while the colour version works, its effect was nowhere as intense as this one's. Thumbs up from me.
 
I like it the way it is...both versions. The bottom left and top right corners work to help frame the main subject (the shadow pattern/parallelograms)....they keep the eye more toward the middle of the frame....it makes for good composition, rather than just a cool pattern. I definitely love this type of image...well done.
 
Both look good... The contrast between shadows & highlights in the B&W is really nice, but I like the color version as well... :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom