Orchids C&C

_rebecca_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Once again, I bought myself flowers for the purpose of photographing them ;) It's turning into an expensive habit.

I'd like some C&C on these, and specifically would like to know whether black and white is preferred over colour, and which black and white edit works best. Thanks!

4151567161_36efbe6a53.jpg

4152327438_963d2bc7c4.jpg

4151567179_7d6e28d3a7.jpg

I like the colour over B&W, with #2 looking better than the contrasty followup with #3.

lol seems colour is winning! This is one where I just really was not sure. I like the colours, the pink and brown compliment each other nicely. But I also like how the black and white brings more attention to the details in the flowers themselves. Their curves and shapes.

I like the color and the first BW. The only problem I see with #1 is you've oversaturated parts of the petals and lost some detail (it may just be hard to tell at this resolution). If that wasn't added in post and came OOC that way, the only strategy I've found is to underexpose slightly and selectively boost in post.

That being said, #1 is really nice. I even like the slight hint of detail in the background. It gives the image some context.

I like the color and the first BW. The only problem I see with #1 is you've oversaturated parts of the petals and lost some detail (it may just be hard to tell at this resolution). If that wasn't added in post and came OOC that way, the only strategy I've found is to underexpose slightly and selectively boost in post.

That being said, #1 is really nice. I even like the slight hint of detail in the background. It gives the image some context.

Thanks for the detailed critique. :)

I agree about the saturation in #1. I think I will revisit this one and edit another colour version that doesn't overdo it. The saturation was done in post. I do tend to go overboard. :)

Re: the background. That background is my bedsheets hauled off the bed and wrapped around the base of the pot this orchid is in. I was unhappy with the shots where I could see the pot below the flowers and wanted something less defined. I wasn't sure about the wrinkles in the bedsheet, but once I saw them in the finished product I was glad they were there!

Most reactions

Back